Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• Bridge Build Day: July 26, 2008 - July 27, 2008

Author Topic: Trail Project  (Read 10023 times)

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Trail Project
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »
Meadow Creek Bridge project July 26th-27th.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Trail Project
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:10:33 PM »
I'll help out here too, see my post in the Bridge thread #2

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »
Update

The funding is in place for this project.

I have submitted the application to ASRD for the Temporary Field Access Permit for the project and should have a hard copy of the TFA next week. We have some prefabrication and logistic work too accomplish before the install date but should be in good shape for the major build and install on the 26th and 27th. I plan on camping in the Ghost FLUZ on that weekend.  It looks like a go on the scheduled date.

On the 26th we will need to split the volenters up in to a few groups with different tasks.

First, small group to assist with the bridge abutments. It is important to limit this group in size when the heavy equipment will operating of the safety of the volunteers.

Second, A group with trucks and OHV trailers will need to move the decking material to the site on the trails from its storage location.   

Third, a group will need to assemble the steel bridge components at a safe distance from were the abutments are being built.

If the day goes well we hope to have the steel structure siting on the bridge abutments at the end of the day.

On the 27th

This day we hope to complete the installation of the steel structure on the abutments and build the deck on the bridge, remove the old damaged bridge from the creek , complete some fencing work to divert traffic onto the new bridge and regrade a hillside were we will be getting material for the abutments. The project goals also include some bio enginering work too stabilize and rebuild sections of the creek bank. Some of the Bio enginering project and what items we don't get finished will get planed for the second project weekend in August.

The more volunteers we get for this type of project the more fun they are. I plan on camping in the area that weekend so please plan on bondfires and good food in the evening if you decide to come out and camp as well.

More details to come in the next few weeks as we get closer.

Thanks,
Blair
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:52:40 AM by 01sahara »

HeadHunter

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »
volunters working with heavy machinary should be wearing high vis vests

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:35:54 PM »
Blair,

It seems that at least some of us have heavy equip experience.  To second what HeadHunter said, those working with and near the equipment should have the proper safety gear and probably some experience around that type of equip.

Im going to assume that everyone will be required to have steel toed boots, hi vis vest, safety glasses and gloves for the work?

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »
Blair,

It seems that at least some of us have heavy equip experience.  To second what HeadHunter said, those working with and near the equipment should have the proper safety gear and probably some experience around that type of equip.

Im going to assume that everyone will be required to have steel toed boots, hi vis vest, safety glasses and gloves for the work?

Yes, That is why we will limit who is exposed to the equipment.  The owner and operator of the equipment is very clear that needed to be done. By separating work areas we can better control what volenters are exposed to the equipment and make sure they have the appropriated safety equipment and knowledge. I will look in to the vests ands see if we can get some lent to use for the project. Thanks they are a good idea.

The first order of business,  is who is helping to move lumber this  Saturday, July 5th ?  It has been suggested that we meet at 11:00 at the ASRD yard to load a trailer that Peter Strab has volentered to bring out. Approximately 5-8 volenters would be best. We will load the trailer take the trailer out to the Ghost FLUZ storage area and unload we will be done by 2-3. We can carpool for the run out to save fuel. I need some pepole to step up and commit to come out for a few hours.         
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:22:11 PM by 01sahara »

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »
Yes, That is why we will limit who is exposed to the equipment.  The owner and operator of the equipment is very clear that needed to be done. By separating work areas we can better control what volenters are exposed to the equipment and make sure they have the appropriated safety equipment and knowledge. I will look into the vests ands see if we can get some lent to use for the project. Thanks that is a good idea.

The first order of business,  is who is helping to move lumber this Saturday, July 5th ?  It has been suggested that we meet at 11:00 at the ASRD yard to load a trailer that Peter Strab has volentered to bring out. Approximately 5-8 volenters would be best. We will load the trailer take the trailer out to the Ghost FLUZ storage area and unload we will be done by 2-3. We can carpool for the run out to save fuel. I need a few more volenters to step up and commit to come out for a few hours. 

Thanks,
Blair
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:15:54 AM by 01sahara »

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
I'll take shot gun in your Jeep... count me in

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »
I'll take shot gun in your Jeep... count me in

If you want to leave your car at my place then drop by between 10:15 and 10:30.

Thanks,
Blair

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »
I'll help out. 403-862-7230 give me a call

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »
Thanks to the group on Saturday. We got over 75% of the lumber moved.

The bridge install will be on the 26th and 27th. We need lots of help on that weekend. Many of us will be camping out in the Ghost FLUZ for the weekend.  If you can only make it for one of the two days that is also a big help.

Please start to post up who will  be out to help.

Thanks,
Blair
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:49:03 AM by 01sahara »

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:27:35 AM »
I'll be there on the 26th.

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:26:18 PM »
Hey Blair!!

Looks like my son & I will be having a father/son weekend the 26 & 27.  Guess what he wants to do.  Okay if we come out to see if we can lend a hand?  Of course I'll have to keep a close eye on him but should still be able to contribute something to the project.  The KJ has a hitch so can pull around a small trailer.  Have basic hand tools...shovel, pick, sledge hammer, come-along, winch, rubber boots, fork/spoon etc.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:50:28 AM »
Hey Blair!!

Looks like my son & I will be having a father/son weekend the 26 & 27.  Guess what he wants to do.  Okay if we come out to see if we can lend a hand?  Of course I'll have to keep a close eye on him but should still be able to contribute something to the project.  The KJ has a hitch so can pull around a small trailer.  Have basic hand tools...shovel, pick, sledge hammer, come-along, winch, rubber boots, fork/spoon etc.

Sounds Good. Glad you can come out to help.

We will just find a spot for you to help away from the heavy equipment.

Thanks,
Blair

TheCaptain

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »
New to the entire province of Alberta. Where exactly is Meadow Creek?  ::)
I'd be interested in lending a hand/meeting some new people.  Nothing like a weekend of manual labour, camping and a few pops by a fire.  8)