Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: October 8th Thanks Giving Day Run  (Read 4454 times)

tjd60

October 8th Thanks Giving Day Run
« on: September 26, 2005, 01:48:42 PM »

tjd60

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 09:10:39 AM »
:)

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 07:05:22 PM »
I am not trying to influence anyones vote here. But today, sunday oct 2. Lost Knife is closed due to bear activity. The signs looked official, and a quadder we met on the trail said he saw large bear tracks at the North end of Lost Knife.
I am not sure who to phone to confirm this and how long the closure will last. If someone could tell me who to phone, I would be happy to do it.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 07:10:41 AM »
Lost Knife and Meadow Creek were closed late in the afternoon of Sept. 18.  We were on our way out Meadow Creek and a conservation officer on a quad packing a rifle passed us.  We were told a bear was in the area.  As we left the area we saw the yellow tape at the entrances to these two trails.
near stock advocate

FeatherFoot

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 07:11:05 PM »
The clock is ticking.

The poll is one way to get feedback to the club to help determine direction.  It should not be construed as a mandate for individual club members.

During the construction of the bridge, a number of us committed ourselves to complete the bridge at the first opportunity.  It was suggested thet Oct 8th would be a probable date to do this.

Personally, I am commited to the bridge and unless the trail is closed or the weather too dangerous, that is what I will do on the 8th, providing there is a resonable slate of volunteers avilable.

I would like to get a post or PM from those who plan to work on the bridge so that we can be prepared if the conditions permit.

Thanks,
Bob

tjd60

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 09:43:50 AM »
Thank you for all that voted, so that we are able to make the right decision for our club members.

It looks like we will be doing Indian Graves on Saturday.

PLEASE CHECK THE "TRAIL RIDE" SECTION TO GET THE DETAIL FOR US FOR THIS RUN. :D

FeatherFoot

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 04:39:41 PM »
Well, we got the official scoop on Lost Knife.  The bears have given us permission to enter their territory to work on the Bridge provided we stay away from the berries and ant colonies.  The weather forecast looks good, and we have almost enough bodies.  So if any of you are not doing IG and would like a little fresh air on Saturday, PM me.
Thanks, Bob

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 06:19:07 PM »
Quote from: "FeatherFoot"
Well, we got the official scoop on Lost Knife.  The bears have given us permission to enter their territory to work on the Bridge provided we stay away from the berries and ant colonies.  The weather forecast looks good, and we have almost enough bodies.  So if any of you are not doing IG and would like a little fresh air on Saturday, PM me.
Thanks, Bob

Hey Bob, I'm in.
What do we need to bring along.
Leave Smitty's at 9 sharp  :?:
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

FeatherFoot

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:44:31 AM »
Good to hear Ian.  
It's coming together.  Could still use a few more bodies, but a hammer, shovel, half inch drill and prybar would be good tools to bring.  If you have a chainsaw, that would be good. Other than some drilling and some saw work, its mostly assembly.  Were still working on tracking down a generator, if anyone has one, let me know.

UPDATE - generator confirmed, thats the last obstacle!

If we get finished early, we can rotate some rubber.

Breakfast at Smitty 8:00 is a proven routine!

See you there,
Bob

FeatherFoot

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:31:21 AM »
Just to clarify what is happening with the CJA this week end.

There are two events on the go:

1.) Trail run at Indian Graves.  See the "Trail Ride" thread for details.

2.) Work on the bridge that the CJA started on V Days.  See this thread or PM me.

Lots going on!  Good luck to all!

FeatherFoot

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 10:20:57 PM »
We have a bridge!

Thanks to a lot of effort from:
Ian
Dave
Tim
Blair
Tom
Martin
Scott

Abutments went in, the stringers were placed, decking nailed, and 4X6's anchored.  
The drill cratered with four top wing holes to drill, so there are four grade retainer logs to attach and the abutments to be filled to make it driveable.  
Dave will get a backhoe in to do the backfilling.

It was a perfect day for building, although the ground had a surprising amount of frost for the first hour or so.  When we arrived at the trail head, the reserve decking planks we had left from last time, were gone, but it was apparent they had been removed very reciently.  A hundred yards down the trail, Dave noticed them stacked up beside a camper.  We simply stopped, moved the planks 20 feet to daves truck, cut them to 8 foot lengths with the chain saw and carried on.  There was no response from the camper, so they were either off hunting, or too ashamed to poke their heads out of the camper.  Tim left a note thanking them for helping us transport the decking!

As expected, it was a lot of hard work, but very rewarding!  Thanks again guys!

Bob