Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: how to get a job in oil  (Read 1762 times)

KC

how to get a job in oil
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:47:47 PM »
ok so i work landscape construction but want to venture into the world of oil. anyway if anyone has any info on how and where to apply and what might be involved in getting hired that would  be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
Re: how to get a job in oil
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:09:08 AM »
you'll need your sour gas ticket otherwise they wont look at you
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

KC

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:50:38 AM »
well what is that and where do i get it?

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »
there are so many different jobs that are in the oil world that you have to be more specific. if you're single and have no major tie-downs then id say get on the net and look for some jobs in the seismic stuff. im sure you could work on an oil rig too, but id rather blow crap up then get covered in crude all day... start with internet job finder wbsites, jobshop.ca, monster.com, etc, etc... check out SAIT, they may have courses you could take now that would set you up in the oil industry later. or they may have an idea where to find a job. good luck man, lots of money out there... how much of it do you want?
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Franticfire

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »
H2S courses are available al over the place. It's a one day course around $125, just do a search. First aid amd CPR are also helpful. Do you have mechanical experience ? Are you willing to travel and be away from home for extended periods ?
I work in oil now but in the city, for now.

KC

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
thanks hps4evr great advice! and francticfire you have been PM'd!!

Giffer

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:02:28 PM »
i wouldn't bother with oil right now, Ive got lots of friends who are/where and they are constantly getting laid off or just don't have anywork. and with all this crap weather this year....... i wouldn't waste my time. the only place your guaranteed a job is up in fort mac, and most of the company's up there don't pay for sep and you have to have a permanent address up there, and just look at the prices of houses up there.
just my 2 cents

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »
My buddy does natural gas pressure testing and is steady,.. he only had 2 months off this time around

Works out of Grande Prairie,.. if you are serious i might be able to set you up with grunt work,.. shitty pay to start but after a year you would start making very good money.

But you still need your sour gas
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

KC

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 09:42:38 PM »
ok so what is this sour gas thingy? and what is a starting wage?...pm me with that detail thanks!

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 11:50:10 PM »
Get a hold of Enform. They're in the NE just south of 32 Ave and 12 St. They offer a ton of oil field courses including the H2S Alive course.

http://www.enform.ca/
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 11:52:39 AM »
Yep, Enform for the H2S Alive ticket.

Most of the big construction sites around FtMac will also require a CSTS, or a PST ticket as well. Enform can do those as well.

But it also depends on what you want to do. There is seismic, drilling, facilities, pipelines. Generally speaking.

For facilities; pipefitters, welders, instrumentation, electricians, ironworkers, scaffolders and general labourer
For pipelines; welders, heavy equipment operators, and lots of labourers.
For oilfield related stuff in town, the various fab shops often need; pipefitters, platefitters, welders, instrumentation, millwrights, machinists, electricians, labourers.

If you want to do shiftwork out of town, and be gone for 10&4, 16&5, 21&7, (days in/days out) etc. Then start googling for oilfield service.
If you want to build some skills, maybe get indentured as an apprentice, there are tons of shops in town. An apprenticeship could be started in the field, but I highly recommend a fab shop at some point during the apprenticeship just to see the fabrication aspect from start to finish.

Seems to be a glut of structural and pressure welders around lately. But there is *always* a lack of pipefitters, platefitters, instrumentation, electricians.
If you want to pickup a trade, do some research on www.tradesecrets.org; and start to figure out from there. The crappy part is the first year sucks for pay, but if you can show up for work on time, with half a brain, you'll have no problems getting indentured. Then you can move to other companies and your apprenticeship follows you. Get your hours, goto school, repeat as many times as the trade requires.

For what its worth, I'm a 4th year Pipefitter/Steamfitter just about to write my Alberta Journeyman ticket on thursday, and my Red Seal (Interprovincial ticket) on friday. I drove computers and managed computer networks for nearly 10 years before I go into my trade. And I wouldn't have done it any other way. I'm pretty darn happy where I am at now.

If you want field work; let me know I might be able to do something. But you'll need your H2S for sure.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
First, the oilfield rocks.

Second, dont worry about your tickets. Thats just money out of pocket. When you start with a company theyll pay for your tickets (if you quit on them in 3 months then you hae to pay them back). But a benifit to this is that usually you get paid for your time at the coarses. For example, i had to redo all my tickets (for the 3rd time) and my company paid for the tickets as well gave me my wages.

When your sending out your resumes, make sure you let them know that your ok to work on the road, and at 13 hours a day! But start with LARGE companies first. This is because they pay for alot more when your first getting started. Usually smaller companies have employee's pay for safety gear and such. To get started even just your gear is about $2200.

A good place to start in the oil field would be surveying. You get to work with rigs, pipeliners, line locators, consultants, ect... so basically every aspect of the oilfield. Then if you happen to see something that spikes your interest more than surveying, find out about it and go that way.

Anyways, I have been in the oilfield since i was 18 and have never looked back, just be prepared for spring break up (dont use your vacation pay till then) it can last from a week to 3 months. Fortunatly for surveyors, break up doesnt really exist! And if you find a really good company, theyll have a garenteed salary.... then its no sweat off your back.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions!

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »
Just get your H2S ticket and apply. You can also do Enform courses, but those are not needed.