Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: California Tops...  (Read 2062 times)

Jaguar

California Tops...
« on: October 02, 2005, 11:25:56 PM »
Has anyone had any problems dealing with them? And for those who run them. What do you think of your top? How are they for leaks, highway noise, ect? I love the idea of a frameless top. Seems like way less hassle than an OEM or Besttop. Not to mention about half the price :)

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
California Tops...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 04:03:02 PM »
I run the last generation top.  It leaks a bit at the door, but not bad.  I love the thing.  Really simple.  I will be buying another one.  I have heard the horror stories online, but have never had a problem with Tim.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
Tim
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 05:50:20 PM »
Tim is not an honest man.  I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him  I will never buy anything from him ever again.  I cant speek for the quality of his tops but I have my reasons to not recommend him.  If you want further details pleaase p-m  me.

Jaguar

California Tops...
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
PM sent :)

RckyMtnTJ, does he use OEM fabric/equal quality, or is it something cheaper?

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
California Tops...
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 06:43:49 PM »
I dealt with Tim a long time ago. I bought a top from him, but it wasn't ready by the time I got to edmonton (I drove up there with no top). he said it would be done that afternoon so I went and did some shopping. He came and met me at the mall, and had it installed on my Jeep by the time I came out. He was suposed to have made me a cover for my 33" spare, but he was short staffed (it was a long weekend BTW) so he refunded my $50. If that's not customer service, I don't know what is. I too have read hoorror stories on the net, but this was my experience.

As for the top, I have ran 2 of them. The second one I got used but I can say this. They were top quality. I never had any issues with either of them.

I love those tops.

Dan
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
California Tops...
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 09:37:55 PM »
Definitely lower quality than sail cloth, probably about the same as the older stock top material.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies