Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Chrysler 9.25" and D44 Confusion  (Read 1566 times)

CanaMatt

Chrysler 9.25" and D44 Confusion
« on: October 04, 2005, 01:56:20 PM »
All this time I thought a Chrysler 9.25" was a Dana 44. I saw a Dodge Ramcharger at the junker and I wanted it because I thought it was a D44 rear, now I do some research and its a Chrysler 9.25" but it had the D44 front.  All this time I see the Octagon shape in the back of Jeep Liberty's and the new Grand Cherokees thinking they are D44 rears. Are these Limited Slips any good? Is it worth buying? What is the highest gears I can put in them? I will probably go 9.25" rear off the ramcharger and the D44 front off the ramcharger as well. The only downside is I think they have the C-clip retainers. I got the new mag 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility November 2005 it has a "Axle Spotters Guide" topic got me thinking about axle swaps. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
What size tire do you eventually want to run on proposed axle? The D44 from the Ramcharger has the diff on the wrong side for your YJ. Also used lockers and gears are not very common for the 9.25.

BUT I you really want, I will be wrecking out an '86 Ramcharger in the next couple of weeks. It has the 9.25/D44 axles with 3.23 gears. I'll sell the diffs for $75 each complete.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

CanaMatt

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 07:40:36 PM »
Hey, ya I was looking at the ramchargers. $75 is a good price. How much does Pick Your Part charge? When my last yoke broke buddy at dealership told me if I had a D44 rear it would look like a stop sign on the bottom half. Ever since then I went on his word. But those 9.25 are very common. And judging from this website I found, its somewhere higher then a D44 but lower then a D60, for strength.

http://www.wfo-offroad.com/chrysler/main.htm

I was primarly looking for a rear axle. The 9.25" should do up well. Buddy near me has a jacked up Cherokee with a 9.25 rear just north of Chinook Mall 2 blocks and towards elbow drive. Its the way I want to go. The Jeep I had is gone now, the '93 YJ 4L manual trans. I am seriously thinking about doing up a '89ish Cherokee. Do you think it matters as far as wheel base is considered if I do a 2 door or 4 door? I would like to do a 4 door, like what captaincrunch has here

http://www.amperagetech.com/picturers/DSC01793.JPG

I mean if I had that kind of cash it would have been mine already. But the thrill is making a rig with your bare 2 hands. My original thoughts were to do up a Grand Cherokee really nice. But I am swayed both ways on the looks. I guess its just a matter of ease of use, fixing things and modifying things.

For the Cherokee, from what trucks can a D44 front axle fit? for the drop.
I am for sure going to go the 9.25" rear. 203 or 205 tc and a Th400.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:23:45 PM »
Quote from: "CanaMatt"
Hey, ya I was looking at the ramchargers. $75 is a good price. How much does Pick Your Part charge? When my last yoke broke buddy at dealership told me if I had a D44 rear it would look like a stop sign on the bottom half. Ever since then I went on his word. But those 9.25 are very common. And judging from this website I found, its somewhere higher then a D44 but lower then a D60, for strength.

Not sure what PYP wants for a diff I think its around $80. Nice thing about the 9.25 is its esy to find replacment axles if you break one. Bad news is they are fairly limited on choices for gears and lockers.

I was primarly looking for a rear axle. The 9.25" should do up well. Buddy near me has a jacked up Cherokee with a 9.25 rear just north of Chinook Mall 2 blocks and towards elbow drive. Its the way I want to go. The Jeep I had is gone now, the '93 YJ 4L manual trans. I am seriously thinking about doing up a '89ish Cherokee. Do you think it matters as far as wheel base is considered if I do a 2 door or 4 door? I would like to do a 4 door, like what captaincrunch has here

The wheel base on the 2 and 4 door models is exactly the same. The front doors on the 2 door are just bigger. Advantage of a 2 door is that you can hack the rear fenders wheels back a bit farther.

I mean if I had that kind of cash it would have been mine already. But the thrill is making a rig with your bare 2 hands. My original thoughts were to do up a Grand Cherokee really nice. But I am swayed both ways on the looks. I guess its just a matter of ease of use, fixing things and modifying things.

For the Cherokee, from what trucks can a D44 front axle fit? for the drop.
I am for sure going to go the 9.25" rear. 203 or 205 tc and a Th400.

Why the TH400, are you swapping in a V8? Replacing an AW4 auto with a TH400 on the 4.0L would be a waste of money. The AW4 is almost bulletproof. Nothing wrong with the NP231 either.  The amount of torque to justify a NP205 would tear apart an XJ's unibody.

If you look under your Jeep you will find the diff has a driver's side drop. So to swap in a D44 you will need a donor from a full size Jeep(Grand Wagoneer/J series truck) or from an older Ford that has a solid front axle, not the TTB stuff.  But if you are going to swap out the driveline to a V8,TH400 and NP205 you can have the drop on whatever side you want. If you do though swap  in something to justify the TH400/NP205 you better ditch that 9.24/D44 combo and go D60s or better.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles