Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Gear oil color??  (Read 1053 times)

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
Gear oil color??
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
I just changed the gear oil on my rear diff last night, when stirred around it had a silverish tint to it, no metal shavings, but more like a metalic paint ish sort of deal.  It does have the tracloc so I'm wondering if it's just the clutch pack as the gear surface doesn't look much different than the front, no chips.

Oh, and it's only been in there for about 20k, no foam(water) The front looked brown, no silver to speak of, but it's open.

Is this normal?
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Gear oil color??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 10:42:05 PM »
20-25, ooo kms is a good time to change the diff fluids.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:23:39 AM »
I change mine at least twice a year....  there's always stuff that gets in there and it cheap. better doing it more often then not enough.

the silver could be metal... I believe it's  the wear and tare... man if it's been 20K last time it's been done  and you off road your Heep  ... you were due.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »
I hate to admit it but it's kind of a poser jeep as functional as it is.  I've only had the time to take it out once this year.  However, I do drive it fairly hard on the street; no spinning tires mind you.  At any rate I can't blame the wear and tear on wheeling it.

Mind you it may be wearing funny.  I do have driveline vibes even with a SYE and t-case drop, although the t-case drop really helped.  No amount of messing with pinion angle would get rid of the vibes.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »
I just changed the gear oil on my rear diff last night, when stirred around it had a silverish tint to it, no metal shavings, but more like a metalic paint ish sort of deal.  It does have the tracloc so I'm wondering if it's just the clutch pack as the gear surface doesn't look much different than the front, no chips.

Oh, and it's only been in there for about 20k, no foam(water) The front looked brown, no silver to speak of, but it's open.

Is this normal?
The metalic in the fluid will most likely be from the bearings or bearing races. when you drive see if you get a static noise if so that will be your bearings..
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
E-mail. [email protected]
Phone 403-265-6669
E-mail @ [email protected]
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

HeadHunter

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »
100% garuntee it is minuscule metal particles. I have changed diff fluid that was so bad I took a strong magnet and held it an inch away from the drain plug and ALL the fluid coming out horizontally jumped straight to the magnet.