Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: McLean Maps  (Read 2008 times)

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
McLean Maps
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:06:40 PM »

Dont suppose anyone actually has a marked up map of the McLean Creek area? 

Perhaps with some of the runs named and highlighted? 

Maybe the 101 route...  top of the world... or other such runs?

I'm heading out tomorrow with a couple people and i've only been out to the area once.  Im sure we'll be fine and have a good time... but it would be nice to actually know some of the trails. 

Any help would be greatly appreicated...  maps can be emailed to me   [email protected]  if anyone has anything good to share.

Thanks,

Mike
99 XJ - 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex, 31" Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, Front E-locker, Rear Detroit Locker, Rockhard 4x4 front and rear bumper with sotc, 9000lb winch, Cobra CB.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: McLean Maps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
You could just buy one like the rest of us did  ;)

They're at the store. The crappy ones are free...the good ones are $12 if I recall correctly. They fold up, and are actually a 1:50,000 topo with all the trail names and types marked in colour.

My GPS tells me that some of the trail positions on the map are out of whack with the UTM grid by three to seven hundred meters, but unless you have a GPS and know your stuff with regards to land navigation (or have a compass and REALLY know your stuff), you'll never know the difference.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »
What time does the store open on Sundays?  Any idea??  

And its not that i have an issue paying 12 bucks... hell i'll pay whatever... but i notice that most of the maps i see posted online dont actually have names of the runs that people talk about. 

If the stores open, i'll grab a map.  Otherwise... we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:41:23 PM by mhernden »
99 XJ - 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex, 31" Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, Front E-locker, Rear Detroit Locker, Rockhard 4x4 front and rear bumper with sotc, 9000lb winch, Cobra CB.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »
Store opens at 10AM on both Saturdays and Sunday if I recall correctly.

If they still have the type of map that I bought last year, the trail names are all marked. Just be aware tat some people confuse "fish creek east" with "fisher east" (not that hard since they meet at the east end) and "fish creek west" with "Fisher west" (this can be a problem since they are a long ways apart).

So far, that map from the store (also available in other places) is the best one that I've found for McLean.

I do have to warn you though...you're likely to need a new one every year. They don't deal well with the inevitable mud splashes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:55:42 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »

Had a riot out in McLean area today.  3 jeeps and an F150.  Saw some trail i hadnt seen before...  saw some stuff from the 101 route.  Good times had by all.

Thanks for the map info. 

Greatly appreicated.

Offline justchillinout

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »
Hey Mike

Thanks for letting me join you guys.  Was a good day!  Hope the rest of your BD went well.

Any more luck on the map info?  I too have a map, but never know the "runs" that people refer to because the use different names then the actual map.

Does anyone know where to find the Garmin downlodable maps for McLean?

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:18:28 AM »
No problem at all. 

I hear the Gem Track map for the area that is sold at MEC (yeah yeah, i know... we all hate mec... blah blah blah) has a majority of the runs actually named on it.  I havent confirmed this yet... 

However, having actually gone out like we did on the weekend and paid some attention to the map along the way... i have a far better understanding of the area. 

I too would be interested in garmin maps of McLean Creek area if anyone has them. 

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
What used to be called Calgary Area Trail Maps and now is called Southern Alberta Trail Mapping Project is at:

http://www.calgarycachers.net/trailmaps/maps.htm

FYI, this is my project.  Please send any track data at any time.....  Mclean needs some more work.  I've been holding off because SRD told me that there was a new map coming out.  The majority of the "4WD" trails on the official map should be accurate.  ATM, it is semi-updated to the map below but I have not put in a bunch of effort as I keep expecting the new map.

The printable and official maps are online at SRD, http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/southernrockies/pdf/McLeanCreek_Trails_Kiosk11x17_Revised080710Watermark.pdf

I have been putting a lot of recent work into everything south of K country.....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:43:31 PM by JohnB »

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
The new maps are out AFAIK... oh, that's Waiparous... dunno about McLean.

LOL...

Yes, the new Waiparous data is in the current version of my maps.  SRD is really good and helpful at getting me data.  Back a few months ago, they told me that they were printing new maps.  They also said they where going to sign the trails.  I have not seen either.