Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cherokee Lift Kit  (Read 1287 times)

Offline OnyxGrizzly

• Budget Lift
  • Just another red XJ
Cherokee Lift Kit
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »
Hello! I am new to this whole off-roading thing I own a 99 XJ and I want some sort of lift, my plan is to run some sort of 2" lift with 30" tires eventually. will this setup be pretty good for basic off-roading or should I go bigger?
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: Cherokee Lift Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
i will move this to the appropriate forum for ya, then read read read cause all the answers are here.

people will, though, pipe in to point you in the right direction for XJ and give you hints what to look for.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
4" lift, and 31"s will get you started very nicely, and on most of the "Open Runs". Usually trail leaders will post up that 31"s are a minimum. Don't bother with a body lift.... they are a waste of $$ on the XJs. :D
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »
Don't bother with a body lift.... they are a waste of $$ on the XJs. :D

Why you gotta be like that, Trev? That body lift I sold you for your XJ worked great! You got at least two extra inches of clearance from it, no matter what Noel says.

;D
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »
I've got a body lift in stock just for you though Trevor!  hurry before someone else gets it!

Seriously though, if you need any help give us a call!
Dave
403-237-7706

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
No harm in wanting to start small but if all you want to run is a 30" tire I wouldn't bother with a 2" spacer lift. Just run them as is and trim a bit if needed. Once you decide to go bigger get a kit that has new coils and rear leaf packs. The stock leaf pack doesn't last long if you try to put a spacer block under it.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:39:04 AM »
Trevor has enough trouble trying to get his bushwackers off,nevermind a body lift in an XJ..seemingly 2 impossible tasks... ::)
Why bother with 2"...go 3.5" and 31's, get a feel for how the jeep works and a feel for how wheeling works with your budget...you may find you are right where you want to be at that height until you get some wheeling experience.. Its good you are starting small and dont have the immediate desire for a 6" long arm kit and 35's..like so many that figure max lift/tire makes them a better wheeler... :o ::)
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:14 AM »
i agree with apeman. go with a 3.5" lift and 31" tires. you can usually find some good used 31" tires in the for sale section, but from personal experience for good winter road, and good off road performance I would recommend Canadian tire 31" good year territory, they are $200 per tire unless you wait for the buy one get second one half price deals. I ran those tires at 12psi with awesome performance in winter wheeling and summer. there are other good tires people will recommend as well. i had my jeep on 31's and 3.5" lift for almost 2 years, then i did a small upgrade with adjustable spacers and longer shackles to get me 5" of lift still on 31" tire for the last 3 years, so i ran 5 years like that. its a good way to get familiar with your jeep.

Offline OnyxGrizzly

• Budget Lift
  • Just another red XJ
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »
Thanks for all of this advice, I really appreciate it, this helps me out a bunch!
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.