Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Sigh - Clutch pedal hydrolock?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
Sigh - Clutch pedal hydrolock?
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
93 YJ. Coming home from work today I noticed a clicking noise when pressing inthe clutch...kinda of as the pedal was halfway through the stroke. Can feel it in the pedal to. Curious...then 3 blocks from my house at a major intersection, I go to depress the clutch pedal to put it in first gear and the pedal is as hard as a rock. I had to roll (luckily downhill forward) into the shoulder and spent 5 min trying figure what was getting hung up...I though it must be something in the pedal assembly. In the end, I realized that if I left pressure on the stuck pedal it was slowly moving and eventually it released and depresses as normal. If I let it come all the way back however, it would sometimes lock up again. WTF?

Has anyone else had these symptoms? Just got the jeep back from Chada and hoping to get out on the run on saturday now this :(

Another note, the hydraulic line goes down the fire wall,  under the body, towards the back, that takes a 180 degree bend into a hardline that goes straight into the bellhousing and presumably the slave cylinder. There is also a hard bleeder line coming out of the bellhousing. I can move both of these hard lines poking out of the tranny a good 2" in and out. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Ryan
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
Re: Sigh - Clutch pedal hydrolock?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »
that sounds messed up?

it almost sounds like its some kind of ceizure on a cylinder shaft (slave or master), or maybe you are right with a kind of hydrolock?

because the lines are moving in the tranny, i would suspect a bad slave

:(
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:47:48 PM »
Clutch master was the culprit luckily not the slave. Quick stop by Chanda and I'm back in business :)
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »
Clutch master was the culprit luckily not the slave. Quick stop by Chanda and I'm back in business :)

Sweet!!!
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
ive had this issue every few years on my yj. the rod in the master gets stuck and when you force it it just bends. so a new master is in need. and yyou are corect. when this happens while driving... you end up in severe panick mode;)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 05:43:04 PM »
After 5 minutes of debating what to do, I ended up just sticking it in first and starting it...drove home without the clutch and almost drove thorough my garage door :)

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »
are you coming tomorrow
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:15 PM »
yessir, I'll be there :D