Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Lighting issues  (Read 1173 times)

P-Dubb

Lighting issues
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »
ok, so one of the things i have to fix for my oop is the taillights, i went and purchased cheapo's from PA and installed them, now before they were installed i have no running lights in the rear, reverse lights or brake lights, only had signals, NOW tonight i went to test them, and now my whole jeep doesnt have turn signals if not turned on, and when turned ON, my left blinkers (on flairs and taillights) go very dim and blink very slowly, and on the right they go bright and blink very fast, and no brake lights still, nor reverse. has anyone heard of anything like this or know what this could possibly be?... i was thinking that i have to check all the wiring underneath the ol' girl and see if theres an issue there.. (fuses are in good condition)   :'(

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
Re: Lighting issues
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
start by checking your ground wire. Then start tracing back to front for road rashed wires.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »
I agree, sounds like a bad ground.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:52:45 AM »
Sounds like the random ground ghosts we'd get when I made crane-rigs.

So I ditto the check ground comments.  Not sure with your model jeep, but one problem we'd get once in a while is with any grounding studs/posts.  Sometimes they'd have a crack from factory in them (usually only on Mac or International trucks).  Once we replaced the posts they were good to go.

Also thinking a bad crimp, or a kink-break somewhere.
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:13:38 AM »
Definately a bad ground connection.  Had the same issue wiring Sprocket's utility trailer.
ve1sly

P-Dubb

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 08:16:16 PM »
can someone tell me where the ground is located?