Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: clunk in 07 jk steering  (Read 1011 times)

Offline yukonwheeler1

• Winch Wench
clunk in 07 jk steering
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
i just bought an 07 jk and with in the last 2 weeks this clunk has started in the steering and now i can feel it in the brake and gas, i have looked but can not see anything wrong if anyone could help with any ideas that would be great

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
Re: clunk in 07 jk steering
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:12:23 AM »
Get someone to sit in it and crank the wheel back and forth. Take a look at each of the components something will move, or if it doesn't, one of your unit bearing might be getting sloppy.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:05:59 AM »
Mine's had a light clunk in it since the day I bought it in Feb 07'.  Apparently lots of JK's suffer from it.  It could be like mentioned above, something worn out, could be a loose trackbar bolt (torque it TIGHT, mine was kinda loose from factory), or it could be related to the actual steering box/shaft like this thread is going on about: http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11927&highlight=steering+clunk

You could also try adjusting your steering box, but I'm a little unsure how to do that, Nathan gave me the quick explanation but I don't think you'd want to play with that unless you know what you're doing.  I doubt it'd be unit bearings if it's still relatively stock.  I've had 35's on mine for about 10 months now and they still have no play.  The 07-08's also had pretty crappy ball-joints, so it could be that too; mine are okay-ish, but could be more snug.  Mopar makes a better replacement model now if that's the case.
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »
I found play in the upper u joint on the stearing shaft.  hoping to get it changed under warrenty this week.

Offline Ryans_GP

• Winch Wench

Offline yukonwheeler1

• Winch Wench
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
thanks guys i appreciate the help, i will let you know how it goes