ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
Re: OffRoad 101 Track Data for GPS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »
If anyone is interested in this without a gps, you can use GPSBabel to convert the gdb file in to a kml file which can be read by google earth.

Thanks tinkerer, using your file I was able to mark the trails onto my Forest Land Use Zones map.
http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »
Hey Fony3,

Can you give me some instructions on how to do this? I downloaded the mentioned software, it was a zip file with a couple of .exe files, I assumed these needed to be dropped into my program files? I'm kinda at a loss at this point, I tried to open these executable files & I'm not sure on what to do from this point on? How do you convert these from GDB to KML?

Thanks in advance!
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:18:41 AM »
Google earth will open the GPX version directly.  There is no need for conversions.....

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
I downloaded Google Earth also.. I'll giver a try I guess..
Thanks!
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »
Cool, didn't know google earth would do a gpx, when i click on the d/l link it just displayed the code so I didn't mess with it.

Jsun, if your still having troubles, give these instructions a go!

To run GPSBabel, you need to unzip the files, I just did this  onto my desktop. Then run the GPSBabelGUI exe file.  In the program under Input Section, choose your gdb file by clicking the button all the way to the right side of the section, the icon is a page.  Next in the Output section do the same thing for your save location, this time the button is a page with a disk. Make sure to choose the save as type to be "Google Earth (Keyhole) Markup Language (.kml)".

Once that is done, hit the let's go button in the bottom right and it should say your file has been created (or something along those lines.

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »
Ahh since it is an XML file and the webserver and browser know XML is a viewable format, they do that. ;)  If you right click on the link and do whatever you do in your browser to save a file, then you could download it.  If you wanted to do it the ugly way, you could cut 'n paste it into a file with that file extension with notepad etc. :o

Yeah I knew I could save it like that, but my first search for ways to open the garmin file came up with the kml conversion! Seemed easy enough so I ran with it...Now I need to find out if my GPS will read one of them!