Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Water pump!  (Read 1081 times)

TheCaptain

Water pump!
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »
Right in the middle of installing a new water pump on my '97  2.5L TJ.  The old one is the reverse flow model with the "R" stamped on the impeller.
The new re-man. pump doesn't have this stamp since it's not a OEM part, but the vanes are facing the same way and is an identical twin over all.

Eventhough the new one isn't stamped because it isn't straight from the factory, can I assume that since the vanes are facing the same way that this would indeed be a reverse flow model?

Anyone have any input?  The Jeep is currently in mid-repair as this little detail has put a halt to the project.  Any help would be much appreciated!  8)

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Re: Water pump!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »
call your parts supplier .. NAPA  or even the stelership
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:41:36 PM »
I would think that as long as the vanes are in the same direction that it would be the same pump.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:01:15 PM »
x2 on the vanes being the same way. aftermarket parts arent always perfect to a T. and calling napa will get you a confused parts guy on the other end. they know what a box is and a niumber on it, whats inside is a mistery to them.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »
Vane direction will determine rotation. If the impellers look the same you'll be okay. Aftermarket parts can have all sorts of stampings and minor differences. As long as the mounting surfaces are the same and impellers match, you've got the right pump. Check for bolt holes that aren't blind and go through to the water jacket. Be sure to use thread sealant on any bolts like that.
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself