Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Hilift Mount?  (Read 2450 times)

P-Dubb

Hilift Mount?
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
anyone tell me some good ideas on making my own hi lift mount?.. don't like having it taking up excessive room inside, open to any good make your own ideas, not very picky location wise.. would like to try to go for bumper though, thanks  ;D

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Re: Hilift Mount?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=55284

Realize that this also puts a jack in plain view to help someone lift the vehicle and take your tires.  ;)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
Behind the cage across the tailgate. That way you havnt wasted any money once you realize they are pain in the butt and replace it with a bottle jack.  ;)
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
Except when the bottle jack they give you isn't tall enough to lift your stock Jeep and you have to borrow one from a van   >:(
Talk about embarrassing  :'(

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »
No, the embarrasing part is not knowing where to put a stock so it goes high enough and then borrowing one :):):)
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »
This isn't my idea, I snitched it, but its easy and cheep,

Simple and effective.
If you don't have a winch just modify the idea to the front of the bumper.
With all things there are pros and cons, I'm sure plenty will be posted.
Good Luck
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »
If you don't have that winch then I suggest you make that hi lift jack a multi teir jack carrier because you'll need more than one hi lift to get you out of some places.

I ran my hi lift on the front bumper for years but am now tired of bending them all the time. I think I've gone thru about 3 jacks over the years. When ever you want to brace to a tree while winching someone else out, or just bumping into trees the odd time they get bent. I've now located mine on the back under the two stage tire carrier and tool carrier I made. The movable parts I store inside so they don't seize up from weather abuse and the base I've also mounted separately. Not ideal either. Time to assemble keeps me from offering my jack to someone else in a quick situation and the long part interferes with the clevis's on the back for towing. Back to the drawing board.

I think Bill has the best idea. Bottle Jack. Been thinking of this for a while now too and even 2 or 3 bottle jacks of various sizes would be less cumbersome than the one hi lift.

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
Do you have the stock fog lights? I mounted my high lift jack by running 2, 3inch long 1/2 grade 8 bolts through the stock holes where the lights would mount........ may have cost me a $1.50, I agree on the dirt and debri plus dings but..... it was a cheap conveinient way to mount it..
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”