Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Maclean?  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: Maclean?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
No alcohol, no random camping on May Long @ McLean?  This would be bad news for the majority of the off road community.  Most of us enjoy the freedom of random camping and enjoy alcohol around the campsite - it's part of who we are and what we have done for decades and our parents did the same before us.  We did it responsibly and we had a good time.  Think of all the good times we've had camping and alcohol was always a part of that.  I certainly don't want to change that and I know that most of you don't either.  Should we all have to be punished because of some idiots?  Are we not innocent until proven guilty?  Let's not start bad rumours, I haven't heard anything in this regard.  The $10 fee and campsite booking refers to on-line pre-booking of popular provincial campsites - not random camping.

Grow up Tom. Its not about YOU. How many areas need to be shut down before you'll get it?
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline red95jeepyj

• Budget Lift
  • my jeep
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »
well we all just have to play our part to keep things clean and if theres a beafed up truck sitting out there for awhile so then be it just means free parts for the taking. If they shut it down they shut it down not a big deal just means people will be going to different area's

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
Geez Bill, I remember a time or two camping with you and many others, shooting the crap around the fire, drinking many beers (you were drinking the 0.5% stuff), having a good time.  You nor anyone else seemed to complain about random camping or the booze.  I also remember a few "Volunteer Days" where the camping and the booze was flowing and we all had a good time and no one was abusing the land.  It's not about me, we all had good times and I want people to remember that and I want the newbies to know what the recent history was like.  We didn't do anything wrong.  If you are suggesting most of the off-road community has given up booze and become saints (like obeying all the rules) to help save the trails maybe you should grow up and take a good look around.  I'm not the enemy, I enjoy camping, having some drinks around the fire (even had a beer at lunch with a few of you) and trail riding and I don't want to lose any more trails.  We aren't the ones who are causing the big issues that cause the closures - try directing your comments to them.  I'm just expressing my opinion, is it unacceptable to voice a dissenting opinion or must we all be sheep to join this thread?
near stock advocate

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
I think these rules and regulations are put in place to give more rights to the authorities.  Not sure if they will totally ban random camping but this would give the cops the right to send you home if they feel like it, not that they can't do that all ready.  If you show up with 6 flats of beer for a weekend of camping, they might send you home.  If you are random camping, maybe having a drink by the fire, conceal your booze and camp resposibly.  If you are doing this I doubt the cops would send you home, but hey, you never know.  If you have been drinking they cant tell you to pack up and drive home.  The only way they could do this is to close the parks for long weekends.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »
Geez Bill, I remember a time or two camping with you and many others, shooting the crap around the fire, drinking many beers (you were drinking the 0.5% stuff), having a good time.  You nor anyone else seemed to complain about random camping or the booze.  I also remember a few "Volunteer Days" where the camping and the booze was flowing and we all had a good time and no one was abusing the land.  It's not about me, we all had good times and I want people to remember that and I want the newbies to know what the recent history was like.  We didn't do anything wrong.  If you are suggesting most of the off-road community has given up booze and become saints (like obeying all the rules) to help save the trails maybe you should grow up and take a good look around.  I'm not the enemy, I enjoy camping, having some drinks around the fire (even had a beer at lunch with a few of you) and trail riding and I don't want to lose any more trails.  We aren't the ones who are causing the big issues that cause the closures - try directing your comments to them.  I'm just expressing my opinion, is it unacceptable to voice a dissenting opinion or must we all be sheep to join this thread?

Again Tom. The whole subject has nothing to do with YOU, ME, or any of our other RESPONSIBLE freinds. It has everything to do with the other 900-3000 jerks that show up to wreak havoc each year.

If it were just the responsible offroad community that attended these weekends, there would be no problem. But years of the same repeated crap by irresponsible offroaders, ravers, teenagers, and just plain drunks have proven that random camping, may long, maclean, and booze are not a good recipe.

In the end, it all gets blamed on us, every time. By the media, SRD, public, ranchers, etc etc etc.

You've been around long enough that you should know this. You should also know that this type of ruling could do nothing but good for the offroad communities reputation.

You dont have to be a sheep Tom, but if you post ignorant opinions based solely on either stirring the pot, or simply to make self centered claims with no regard for the community what so ever........ You're going to get told.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 10:26:20 PM »
did anyone catch the article in the sun today? page 2. it was a good read actually. the writer made it pretty clear that the problem is the few bad apples and the party crowd. not us the responsible 4 wheel enthusiasts. he even pointed out the we are helping by putting up fences and building bridges.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »
eric, here's a link to the article, i posted it in land issues this mornin....

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/michael_platt/2009/04/21/9184321-sun.html
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »
I sent a thank you letter to Cindy Ady for clearly making the distinction between a few bad apples and the rest of the community.

Considering thats the first time I ever recall an official, or the media making that distinction, I think its a huge win for us.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 03:04:32 PM »
Yeah... and Cal "stick a knife in the 4x4 communities back" Rakash was quoted as being 'nice' for once.
Me thinks that Cindy edited his normal 4x4 destroyer rhetoric ::)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »
I'm wondering if she was being sincere or if she is just trying to make it look like she cares about the "responsible" offroader to futher her point

but I'm cynical like that
1991 YJ

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 04:49:13 PM »
Yeah... and Cal "stick a knife in the 4x4 communities back" Rakash was quoted as being 'nice' for once.
Me thinks that Cindy edited his normal 4x4 destroyer rhetoric ::)

Good possibility :):)

Still, definately some good things were said. Lets hope they follow through.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »
i hope IF it comes to closure   then clubs will still be alowed in  or a yearly fee

then that way it keeps dumb people out
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 04:16:59 AM »
I dont think closures are the way to go.  Although in principle, stopping the bad crap from happening would be great, but I believe our reputation has been tarnished so badly that we need to be proactive in swaying public opinion of our groups back into our favor.  If everything bad that happens in the random camps all of a sudden stops, the uniformed (and likely the groups that are anti's) wont stop harrassing us.  Instead if everyone was out camping in the random use areas and showed how things should be done - instead of just supporting closure, this would attract some positive media that would  further our cause.  Although I guess this is largely impractical, and mostly impossible, I just think that outright closures are bad for us because its gives undeniable proof that closures do work, and that wont help anyone in the long run.  Give an inch and theyll take a mile right?  If may long gets shut down and there are no problems, all of a sudden they are going to want to close it down all of may, and the june, july, yada yada yada.  Perhaps if every responsible camper got out and filled up the random camp sites, brought some baby trees (saplings??) along to plant, and did trail reconstruction and we got camera crews out there, it would really help us out, instead of the admission of guilt that a closure is.  Once again, I know this is not really plausible but im just trying to express a point.