Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: just got my new CB  (Read 4463 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: just got my new CB
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
I too have that static when the jeep is running or when i honk the horn.   what is that caused from?

This is a common problem. One of two things may be causing it:

#1. Your stereo is not turned up loud enough.

#2. You accidentally fit AT  tires to your jeep instead of boggers. Switching to boggers immediately will prevent this static noise from bothering you.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
And get used to saying...
What?
Whats that?
I can't hear you?
Say again?
Did you hear what he said?

Whats that?

Did you hear what he said?

What who said?
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
The static is usually caused by the alternator or interference coming through the cb's power source.  You can get a ground loop isolator/noise filter which goes inline with your cb that should take care of the noise.
ve1sly

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 04:42:15 AM »
Somewhat related question if I may. The mounting of my antenna can only be described as an act of pure idiocy although it works perfectly. The location suggests there was drinking involved. I just received some goodies from UPS which includes one of the brackets that install behind the tail light offsetting the antenna to the outside of the taillight itself. How do others route the cable inside from such a position? Once inside the cable is neatly routed up under the lip of the tub in the same factory clips holding the rear wiper cables and washer fluid line.
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
Somewhat related question if I may. The mounting of my antenna can only be described as an act of pure idiocy although it works perfectly. The location suggests there was drinking involved. I just received some goodies from UPS which includes one of the brackets that install behind the tail light offsetting the antenna to the outside of the taillight itself. How do others route the cable inside from such a position? Once inside the cable is neatly routed up under the lip of the tub in the same factory clips holding the rear wiper cables and washer fluid line.

I've never mounted an antenna to a TJ, but I'd wager that you could route the cable through the hole in the tub where the tail light is mounted.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 07:37:38 AM »
I have the Neg and Pos coming straight from the battery, with a fuseable link on the Pos.   Have the CB mounted to the right of the ashtray on the pass side.  The antenna cable runs under the dash just below the stearing column and up through the driver door where i have the antenna(magnetic type) on the roof pretty much right over the drivers head.  Anything wrong with this set up?    I was all over Calgary yesterday and even by the flying jay, and I had a ton of trouble just hearing anything.   Ever 5 mins or so i would hear someone trying to say something, but I can seem to tune into it.

I seem to have under estimated the good ol' CB ,  I thought it was a Plug and go kinda thing.
1991 YJ

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
(Take that as yet another pitch for 2 metre amateur equipment, which uses FM and is way less susceptible to noise, the same reason FRS/GMRS doesn't have much noise  :D)

Are there a lot of people who wheel who use 2m?  I was thinking about picking up another 2m radio to install in the jeep, but wasn't sure if anyone used it or not.  Also, what freq. are people using out in the bush?  Simplex or a repeater somewhere?
ve1sly