Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Alberta towing regs (GVWR, GAWR, GCWR) & DOT's  (Read 12568 times)

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
  • You spilled my macchiato!
Re: Alberta towing regs (GVWR, GAWR, GCWR) & DOT's
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 04:27:49 PM »
Bnine... if your that much over your GCWR... I feel way better about the 400lbs I was worried about. I'm actually feeling like a bit of pussy right now  :-[

While were at it... I'm also scared of bears... both the crapping in the woods kind and the stock market kind... got any cure for that situation  :D All kidding aside... thanx for the input.

Well... I think I have formulated my plan. If you see me, on the evening news, on the side of the highway being tazered by a DOT officer... you know the plan didn't work :P

Thanx all.
2014 Jeep SRT
2009 Jeep XK, 5.7L, 3" lift & AEV rims
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
Why don't you just get rid of one axle and that should help the problem
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:57:31 PM »
Hmmm... tandem axle trailer w/ only one axle. Not only would that look strange... that would be strange ???
2014 Jeep SRT
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
I work in the downtown core and I was out for a lunch time walk today and, oddly enough, a 1 ton dually pulling a 5th wheel car carrier with 4 cars on it pulls up to the curb, along 4th ave, and parks like he is going to offload a car. This truck was a commercial vehicle pulling +/-14,000lbs of cars, +/-3000lbs of trailer as well as the tow vehicle weighing in at +/-6500lbs. That's +/-23,500lbs of combined weight.

Being an obvious gift from the gods... I seized the opportunity and quizzed the driver on tow regs and GCWR. He said he was way over the GCWR but also said it is a manufacturers recommendation and the DOT's dont care about that number. He said... all they care about are trailer brakes (if required), axle weights, how the load is secured and how the trailer is hooked to the truck. So basically... what Bnine said.

I am happy to conclude and report that I was worried about nothing  :-[ 
2014 Jeep SRT

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 07:41:32 PM »
. He said... all they care about are trailer brakes (if required), axle weights, how the load is secured and how the trailer is hooked to the truck. So basically... what Bnine said.

That's pretty much what I believed all along with the addition of not exceeding maximum tire weight limits.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
True true Vince.

To add on that, and this Alberta only, you can increase your axle weights via the use of 14ply tires. This on trailers only, and in alberta only.

My 14 ply tires on my two 7000lb axle equiped gooseneck up the rating from a total of 14k, to 14.8k.

As for trucks, you can never increase the axle rating with tires, but you can decrease it. For instance, if you put a C or  some D rated tires on a 1 ton truck, they would likely be rated for less weight then the actual axle. In that instance, they would reduce you rating to that of the tires.

Fortunately, pretty much any and all E rated tires are rated for more then any domestic axle on the market. So when dealing with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, you are always safe with an E tire.

Great thread for those starting out with any type of towing actually.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]