Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: burnt out winch  (Read 683 times)

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
burnt out winch
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:22:11 AM »
so i burnt out the motor on my winch ( a kew 8000) it was in rough shape when i got it and i had to do some repairs to get it running, but now it is completly done the magnets have all fallen into the armature and been ground up and also destroyed the armature. is it possible to just replace the motor? i have tried searching on the net but found nothing for it. or is it just better to save up for a new winch or maybe catch a deal on here for a decent used one?

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: burnt out winch
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:40:44 AM »
Have you tried Amperage Tech?

http://www.amperagetech.com/

they do a great job..

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:33:03 AM »
is that a princess auto winch? the ones made in china?  and you bought it used? i hope it was free..................

save up and buy a warn or something. i've run a champion and it worked just fine too. for hte price couldn't say no. 

just keep in mind with winches, 'you get what you pay for' rings true a fair share of the time...........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline slimbeam

• UberWheeler
  • 4" RE,3"body,35"rubber,dana 44 rear,sye,KEW winch
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »
I run a KEW 8000 and have no problems, the 210:1 ratio is slow but slow is good on a hard pull, I would fix the motor or at least price it out,it should be cheaper than getting different winch that you may have problems with aswell
I started out with nothing and so far I have most of it left

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
new motor = cheaper in the short term

different winch = probably cheaper in the long run...especially if it happens to have a red "W" on it.

Brink may still have that 8274 for sale. $600 for a GREAT winch.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:52:11 PM »
can you even buy replacement motors for them?  aren't those winches like, 400$?

i remember with my old champion winch there was a no hassle return thing for up to a year at Costco.  but i had a reciept.   

fwiw, i'd get a warn. at least if you burn one of them up you can get a replacement motor if the rest of the winch is good like cables etc.

good luck with it buddy!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:20:07 PM »
i was thinking of saving up for a warn as i know they will fit in my front bumper (the shovel is no more, pics to come). and i was never happy with this kew, yes it was used and used hard by the look of it but it always had problems.

Offline Eagle Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »
8274 all the way everyday.
94 YJj7, AMC360,T176,Dana300(twin stick, Dana 44 4:56, 14 bolt FF welded 4:56, 2 1/2" susp SOA, 38/12.5/15 TSL's, warn 8274,  Custom dash