Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What to look for in a Jeep (Sticky??)  (Read 2742 times)

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
What to look for in a Jeep (Sticky??)
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
Hi all,

I am just wondering if I can nominate a thread for a sticky.  "Black Aura" started a thread a few weeks ago asking the question, and there were some good answers.

I wanted to key in on "hps4evr" answer of "upgraded jeeps having "upgraded" issues.

Generally I would suggest an upgraded jeep is a lifted jeep. 

The intent of this thread is for people to post things to look at, ie:

that with lifts over 3" you need different lower control arms to help give the correct pinion angle on your diff (not saying that is true, because I dont know),

or on a jeep with "X" lift, you are more prone to ball joint failures, etc.

Also, what are telltale signs that a Jeep has/hasnt been wheeled?

As a noob Jeeper, I know I would like to hear info from all of you. 8)
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Re: What to look for in a Jeep (Sticky??)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »
well thers so many different lifts out there

personaly i have a 4 inch  RC lift  it came with 8 adjustible control arms so pinion angle was very easy to correct

also at that height the lift company will suggest a drop t case kit or a SYE kit    i have  a  rubi so that wasnt an issue

i installed a 1" motor mount lift just in case

i got track bar relocates with the kit and a new track bar for the front as well that is adjustible

new brake lines are needed for anythign over 3 inchs if you are going to diconnnect your front sway bar

im still running my stock front drive shaft aand its holding up very well  tom woods in the back isnt to bad but i still looking for something that can take more angle  for a future tummy tuck

after lifting most people put on bigger tires im running 35's     i bent the poop out of the stock tie rod with 33's so its a good idea to up grade to a HD steering . i installed a curriie 3/4 ton  and its great   strong and gives great feed back from the front end

also expect your dealership to void your warrenty after any lift over 3 uinches is installed unless they do it

oh and for anyone looking for a good plac eto get tires balanced

go to KAL TIRE

great place great service     ;D ;D ;D
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »
what are telltale signs that a Jeep has/hasnt been wheeled?

that's easy because you can't go very far without scratches... hey Bonnie?

if you want to collect information and put it in a written post, we can stick it in the FAQ and jeep buying 101 or sumfin
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »
Haha, I opened this thread expecting to find some more answers to some of my questions, but alas....  :P

Apparently the diff covers and underbody are the best things to look at for signs of offroading (from what I've read).  Although with the gravel we use here on the roads, I wouldn't be surprised if they're a little scratched up even if the owner guarantees it's never been offroaded.

Actually, I have some additional questions...Rubi03 Jef, you mentioned not needing a SYE kit with the Rubi?  Is this because of the NP241 doesn't have the slip yoke?  I guess that's another reason I should be looking at the rubi's (unfortunately the TJ models seem to be few and far between....tons of JK's on the market right now).

Also, I've read in a couple places, and you just mentioned it, regarding the brake lines, but apparently you can disconnect your front swaybar.  Does this allow for more suspension travel?  and I'm assuming you'd only do it at low speeds? (i.e. highway driving to/from the trails you'd have it hooked up).  I figure it's an integral part of the suspension system (which I don't know a lot about how Jeeps are setup, but I do understand my car suspension quite a bit).

Thanks!

--Kevin
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »
Sway bar disconnects do allow for more suspension travel.  You would NOT want to run a jeep with the sway bar disconnected in any situation other than 4x4ing.  Always reconnect before getting back on the main road heading for the highway and home. 
99 XJ - 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex, 31" Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, Front E-locker, Rear Detroit Locker, Rockhard 4x4 front and rear bumper with sotc, 9000lb winch, Cobra CB.

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
Sway bar disconnects do allow for more suspension travel.  You would NOT want to run a jeep with the sway bar disconnected in any situation other than 4x4ing.  Always reconnect before getting back on the main road heading for the highway and home. 

Good to know!

Next question, parabs mentioned that he was looking at an Unlimited Rubi due to the extra wheelbase giving you towing capacity, and more available gas tank upgrades.  All of these sound like good reasons, however I haven't seen many Rubis (I'm only looking at the TJ models, can't afford a JK) available, let alone Unlimited editions.

Also....I've heard the 5-speed in the 2003-2004 models is more durable / seems stronger than the Mercedes 6-speed from the 2005+ years.  Of course, to get the Rubicon Unlimited, you need to go with the 6-speed transmission.  Is it worth the tradeoff?

Passengers will have a little more legroom, and there's a bit more cargo space, which sounds nice, but I don't plan on having more than one passenger a lot of the time, so it's not a big deal.  I would also guess the added length = some additional weight = more fuel consumption and harder on the brakes.

I would assume most parts would be compatible (engine, windshield, most of the interior, front/rear bumpers, etc), however the tops, running boards / sliders, driveshafts, and some other parts would be different....do they tend to be harder to find for the unlimited editions?  and I'm guessing probably cost a little more?

Plus there's the additional upfront cost, but, I'm generally a firm believer in doing it right the first time, even if it costs more, so if an unlimited would suit my usage better, then I'd rather buy it right now, than wanting to upgrade in a few years.

--Kevin
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
as for the unlimited TJ  its  a great truck good daily driver my brother has one and witha small family its alot better then my rubi

yes the rubi does not have a slip yoke thats why there is no need for the SYE

personaly i have run my jeep for months with out the sway bar connected and had no issue .. it does have alot of body roll in turns but i dont drive my jeep like a race car so im not very worried about it

but i tend to re connect more often during hte winter because of the fact my little jeep likes to get side ways on the snow its much easier to control when its connected
having disconnects its great for flex tons of extra suspension travel

i also had a 5 speed in mine and for some reason it failed and now im running the 6 speed from the 05 and up     i get better highway speeds with it and and even better crawl ratio  but the 5 speed will be rebuilt and kept as a spare

pretty much everyting from a TJ will bolt onto the unlimited  minus the rear drive shaft    same seats just extra space for rear passengers and more room behind the rear seat ..

i realy looked around for a unlimited rubi when i was shopping and i couldnt find one for a reasonable price so i settled for the TJ rubi     i dont have a family so having a 2 seater works for me . i removed my back seat and i dont think itll be going back in for a long time

best thing is to just ask questions   everyone has different ideas of there dream 4x4 but at least youll get lots of feed back

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »
First, I have also read the 5 speed is tougher than the 6 shooter and I am almost sure a 5 spd replacement would be much cheaper than a 6 speed due to the amount of them out there.

An LJ has a disadvantage in terms of break over angle, however it has the advantage of not creating crazy pinion angles when/if you lift.

I dont think mileage will be much different between either the TJ or the LJ...I havent looked up the drag coefficient, but I am sure it isnt a pretty number.

Oh, and IMHO, a TJ is a far sexier beast than an LJ..the hard top just looks to elongated on the LJ's.

being I use my Jeep for work, and being that work sometimes takes me out of town for a month or more, it is nice to have an option to tow.

TJ (4.0l) can tow 2000lbs

LJ can tow 3500lbs  <---- and R-Pod makes a lot of different configurations (albeit ugly) available under this weight class.

Again, being I use the vehicle for work, I would like to have the biggest fuel tank possible...

Interestingly enough, everyone knows the the rubi comes with 4:10 gears, and you could get a d44 w/3:73 gears as an option in other 4.0l's, the 05-06 Unlimited non-rubi models come standard with the d44 and their version of the limited slip diff w/3:73's.  My Sahara has 3:73's and it is quite reasonable to drive around with 32" tires...I dont think 3:07's would be very pleasant.

The cheapest LJ Rubicon I have seen was in De winton this last year, it was lifted with nice rubber/rims and the guy was asking 17,900.  I dont know if it sold, but it is no longer on kijiji.  Right now there is an 05 LJ on kijiji for the asking price of $14,500.

2000 TJ Sahara - Sold

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 11:08:49 PM »

With the sway bar off, the vehicle is structurally safe but handles poorly and has much more body roll in corners. It certainly wouldn't be the ideal setup to road trip with, but a quick buzz to town for gas wouldn't be unheard of. It's way more of an issue over about 80 kph. While not the safest setup at speed, the swaybarless jeep can still handle the trip to timmies.
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..