Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: H1N1 Pandemic  (Read 9401 times)

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
Re: H1N1 Pandemic
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »
Glad to hear you're better Johnny!
As for me, I've been injected with enough 'stuff' over the years and now I have a messed-up immune system. Coincidence or cause? We'll probably never know. I'm done being a guinea pig. The way I figure, let science experiment on those willing to stand in line for 6 hours because they believe man is smarter than Mother Nature.
Last time I checked she had several million years experience. We have a little less than that.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 09:50:47 PM »
I had my "flu" scare this last week. Felt dead tired on Sunday, sick Sunday night, sick Monday, ate a pack of Advil Cold medicine on Monday. All better Tuesday ;D

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 10:28:44 PM »
Glad to hear you're better Johnny!
As for me, I've been injected with enough 'stuff' over the years and now I have a messed-up immune system. Coincidence or cause? We'll probably never know. I'm done being a guinea pig. The way I figure, let science experiment on those willing to stand in line for 6 hours because they believe man is smarter than Mother Nature.
Last time I checked she had several million years experience. We have a little less than that.

you know i think the same way. i figure, i've always fought off regular flu; this probably won't be different. i was wrong though. regular flu, if i'm not back a day later i get in crap............ this time i got a whole week off work; fantastic. i mean i slept a lot but hey, not complainin

i'm also a relatively healthy individual; i eat right, exercise etc.  so illness doesn't scare me that much.  i also don't buy the media buildup of 'heatlthy people at risk' etc....  goes back to that 'complications' BS.............. media scare....... same thing
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 12:01:02 AM »
Just a few of my observations and beliefs:
Swine flu (H1N1) is a new virus, the medical community is learning about it as they are having to react to it, differing unrelated groups of people seem to be affected and this has led to changes in strategy and information disseminated to the public.  This change in information causes the public to question the accuracy of all information given out.  The seasonal flu kills far more people than Swine flu has, most of those people have underlying medical conditions that leave them vulnerable to any flu.  Swine flu for the vast majority of people will be no worse than the regular flu.  You won't know if the flu you have is Swine unless you get tested, you won't get tested unless you are quite ill and seek medical help.  The majority of people who die from Swine flu have underlying medical conditons, though some have died who have no previous medical conditions that leave them vulnerable.  Influenza can lead to respiratory failure, failure to oxygenate or ventilate adequately.  Failure to oxygenate appears to be the more important factor.  The medical researchers, doctors and supporting infrastructure are the best resource we have to deal with any new virus or bacteria.  No they are not Gods that know all and can cure all,  I believe they doing the best they can, people die everyday in spite of their best efforts.  The western medical system is the best medical system in the world, we're lucky to be apart of it.  Yes, mistakes have been made in the past and will likely happen in the future.  They're human just like you.  Getting the Swine flu vaccine is a personal choice, do your research and make as informed a decision as you can given the information available which is changing as they learn about H1N1.
near stock advocate

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
Just found out my sister had it.... Had and now she's better.  Didn't have the flue shot and now she doesn't need it.

Still doesn't scare me, still don't plan on getting the shot or having my kids get it.  To each-his-own but getting the shot is more un-nerving than getting the flu.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.