Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: the border and passports?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
the border and passports?
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:03:27 AM »
Any CDN citizens have issues getting over the border without a passport? I'm heading to Vegas in Feb and I want to know if I need a current passport or if I can get by on driver's liscence and copy of a birth cirtificate. It's been over 10 years since I was last state side and lots has changed since then.

Tankz in advance.

Offline ya-wanna

• Budget Lift
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 08:27:57 AM »
We went to Vegas in Oct I had my passport but the girlfriend only had birth certificate and drivers license, there were no problems but it did take a little longer the guy was really looking everything over carefully, but mine was very quick.
 I did here that they are changing it to pass port only but not really sure when, I would call the travle agent and they should be able to tell you. Good luck and have fun, cause I think I did just can't remember much :twisted:
2003 Rubicon with to much money invested

buckshot

passports
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 08:41:25 AM »
AS far as i know you don't need them till jan 1 2007 but be careful check into it also DO NOT SEND FOR PASSPORTS NOW if you do get them go in person if your trip is in Feb. They make you send your birth certificate out and they say 3-4 weeks ha I have seen up to 3 months to get back
just my 2 cents

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:15:51 AM »
From http://www.pptc.gc.ca/travel_tips/trip_planning_e.asp

Do I now need a passport to travel to the United States?
Though passports are the document of choice for travel, Canadian citizens do not currently require a passport to travel to the United States. However, Passport Canada encourages Canadians who are considering travelling outside Canada to obtain a passport, as it is the most widely accepted proof of Canadian identity and citizenship.

In April 2005, the United States Government announced the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005. After further review, it was recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005 phase would be problematic for travellers.

On September 1, 2005, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative proposal was formally submitted for public comment. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all U.S. citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and citizens of Canada and Mexico to have a passport or other accepted secure document that establishes the bearer's identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States by January 1, 2008.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
For further information, visit the U.S. State Department Web sites at www.state.gov and www.travel.state.gov.
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Vegas
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »
I have not had any problems crossing in to the US in the past with a drivers licence and birth certificate. The rules are going to be changing but I do not think it will change that soon. The  GOV. of CAN. web site for Forien Affairs should have info or call the local US consolate.

I love Vegas! My wife and I have been three times in the last five years and are heading back the end of Mayso she can play pool. Where are you staying on the strip? Ive lost money in most of the hotels but always had fun. Hope you have a blast.

Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:42:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their input. Is a copy of a birth certif acceptable or do I need the original?

We are staying at the Excalibur for Jess's Brother's wedding. Got a pretty smokin deal too. Three nights hotel including flights for two and all taxes for just under a grand. Gotta love expedia.ca. Westjet wanted that much just for flights alone!

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »
Quote from: "Apex"
Is a copy of a birth certif acceptable or do I need the original?

You would need the original chum....

Easier.... get a damn pasport!!! 8)  It's always good to have one. You never know when a group of hot cheerleaders will invite you to go to Negril Jamaica for the week-end. I have mine ready to go (if any hot chearleader is reading this... my lugage is packed)!!!  :D

Go in person... there is a passport gov. office near Fish creek park (near Humptys). Just ask what is the quickest way to get one. I think you pay a bit more (like an extra $30) and you can get one within a week or so. But do not sent it by mail,....it takes a long time to get it back.

Good luck and go see André on the patio outsideat the Paris Paris in Vegas .. He has the coldest brewskies around  8)  :lol:

cheers,
Dom

henry

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 08:19:57 PM »
He does have the coldest Beers, trust me.  I had a few last June there.

Darren

Offline Sludgefactory

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 09:37:50 PM »
I went through airport customs with a Faxed copy of my birth certificate, In Dec 05.
95 YJ 5.5"lift 33" Trxus, Warn 9000XD, locked Dana 35