Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: jpthing's XJ rear driveshaft setup  (Read 12850 times)

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
Re: jpthing's XJ rear driveshaft setup
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »
SYE's do not require CV shafts. For apps like an xj you can still run a fixed output (SYE) and 2 joint shaft.

Two joint shafts have more total angle ability then CV's. CV's can operate at higher angles without vibration but but bind sooner then a 2 joint.

Best of both worlds is a fixed output and 2 joint shaft. Like d300's and CJ's.

Just some clarification there ona few points

Yeah totally true, I considered this but I don't like the blue spline coating. All the slip shafts I could find that were for the proper sized tube had this stuff, but the Tj setup does not.
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »
I could care less about any of the hack recipe you are dealing with. If it still vibes as you say, its worthless to even look at anyones. I was simply clarifying the statement about having to run CV's with SYE's.

By the way, any notable vibe in your driveline will accelerate t-case and pinion bearing wear enough to have to do them on a yearly basis depending on a the amount someone drives. A none vibrating driveline will last years and years without taking out t-case and pinion bearings.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
I could care less about any of the hack recipe you are dealing with. If it still vibes as you say, its worthless to even look at anyones. I was simply clarifying the statement about having to run CV's with SYE's.

By the way, any notable vibe in your driveline will accelerate t-case and pinion bearing wear enough to have to do them on a yearly basis depending on a the amount someone drives. A none vibrating driveline will last years and years without taking out t-case and pinion bearings.

It's a bit of a stretch to call factorty parts a "hack recipie" no? Hey if you big bux to spend, by all means, pull out the platinum card. I prefer to find cheaper ways to do things where possible...I'm just weird that way, don't hate me for it.

Trust me my vibes are way less now than they've been for a long time with my f'd up SYE and Double cardan with damaged blue goo. And I am looking forward to whatever maintenance comes along (sort of) it's part of wheelin.

Do you disagree with what Pat's told me, that all driveshafts have some vibration, the same way there is no perfect circle or straight line, and that the trick is to get it within or near normal tolerance?

'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »
DSI built and balanced all my driveshfts. i have never had a vibration at any speed. This is with 33's or 37's.
So, i think no vibe is possible :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
I said notable vibrations. All rotating parts have inherent vibration related to them.

The difference between the two is whether or not a vehicle will see premature failure or not.

You inability to maintain your slip joint shaft has little to do anything here. Stock equipment not maintained will shake a truck apart as well.

You like to fix your stuff repeatedly because its "part of wheeling", good for you. Most the people I wheel with and help with their trucks prefer to wheel not spend money repairing their junk over and over again.

I've fixed plenty of diffs because of hack setups like the junk your are pimping. Te big lift t-case drop crowd are no better. If you cant afford to do something right, thats one thing. Pointing people in the wrong direction because of your own ignorance and lack of funds is another.

Seriously, you should keep your farmer tech to yourself.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »
On page one cLAY stated that he was running 8" of lift on the stock driveshaft with no vibes...I don't know why he would be able to pull off 8" but you guys ridicule the idea of my setup handling four inches...perhaps you could explain what's wrong with running this type of setup rather that just using insulting names to describe it...besides what do you have against farmers?
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
I just remembered that I spoke to the tech at national the other day who originally hooked me up with the tj driveshaft etc from their junk bin. When I had picked up the parts I had described my idea to him, and he asked me to let him know how it worked. I told him how it was working for me and he said he will consider using this setup on his girlfriends XJ.
Wow he must be pretty dumb eh?
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline rocnrol

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »
i swear to god, reading what you have to say, i must be a god, cause i built a cj-5 with four inches of lift, and i have no vibes at all, at any speed, even in four high. got a way shorter drive shaft then what you have in your tj too. want to know how i did that?

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »
On page one cLAY stated that he was running 8" of lift on the stock driveshaft with no vibes...I don't know why he would be able to pull off 8" but you guys ridicule the idea of my setup handling four inches...perhaps you could explain what's wrong with running this type of setup rather that just using insulting names to describe it...besides what do you have against farmers?

I think they were ridiculing you cause you said you still had vibes with the new setup. Slip splines should outlast the rest of the shaft. My guess is that you had vibes still from not having the pinion angle correctly setup, which is critical. Those vibes are what took out your slip spline. MANY, MANY, MANY, people run driveshafts with slip splines and don't wear them out. Installing the TJ setup changed the length of the shaft and thus changed the angle which is why it seems  a bit better.

My point about running an 8" lift with no SYE was to show how important pinion angle can be. I took out a lower u-joint in 2 months with a 4.5" lift and a bad pinion angle. A set of shims fixed that right up.

I like your idea as for me it solves my dilemma of losing my t-case fluid if I do lose my rear shaft, however in your case I think you ditched a perfectly good system and spent a lot of money on a new shaft when all you needed was to adjust the pinion angle.

BTW my comment about being able to have a stock style shaft with no vibes and proper pinion angle only stands for the XJ/ZJ crowd. I've never worked on a TJ driveshaft but imagine with it being that short a SYE w/ cv shaft maybe the only solution.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:20 AM »
I think they were ridiculing you cause you said you still had vibes with the new setup. Slip splines should outlast the rest of the shaft. My guess is that you had vibes still from not having the pinion angle correctly setup, which is critical. Those vibes are what took out your slip spline. MANY, MANY, MANY, people run driveshafts with slip splines and don't wear them out. Installing the TJ setup changed the length of the shaft and thus changed the angle which is why it seems  a bit better.

My point about running an 8" lift with no SYE was to show how important pinion angle can be. I took out a lower u-joint in 2 months with a 4.5" lift and a bad pinion angle. A set of shims fixed that right up.

I like your idea as for me it solves my dilemma of losing my t-case fluid if I do lose my rear shaft, however in your case I think you ditched a perfectly good system and spent a lot of money on a new shaft when all you needed was to adjust the pinion angle.

BTW my comment about being able to have a stock style shaft with no vibes and proper pinion angle only stands for the XJ/ZJ crowd. I've never worked on a TJ driveshaft but imagine with it being that short a SYE w/ cv shaft maybe the only solution.

All driveshafts have some vibes, even Bnine finally admitted that, this is why I am reluctant to claim my setup has "no vibes" because that would be untrue. My vibes are completly within what is normal in the application. The reason I wore out the coating (not the splines) was from hard use and less than ideal maintenance. I ditched the system because I would have had to get a whole new CV shaft, mine was toast and $600+ was more than I wanted to spend.

Trust me I am well familiar with adjusting pinion angle, when your blue coating is worn off and your cv drive is damaged and your yoke ears are spread (my old driveshaft) a pinion angle adjustment will have little effect. A new driveshaft was called for.

To those who consider my ideas with an open mind, thanks. To those who write them off without any real consideration or thought, enjoy doing things your way. I will do the same.
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
I just finished rebuidling the rear end in a rubicon that was so beat up even the 30 spline chromoly shafts were twisted and I had them warrentied.

Anyone that knows Rick and his jeep know that his rubicon has been beat on more then just any other jeep in this club. I did the original gears nearly five years ago. I did the CV shaft around that time as well.

Moral is, in all that time and abuse, Rick is still on the original slip spline section of that shaft.

Once again, you are fixing stuff that isnt broke.

If your vibes are within whats normal, its referred to as "no vibes". This is the difference between dealing with someone that actually knows what they are talking about, and dealing with someone that is purely full of themselves, and full of sht. Like you.

This has nothing to do with an open mind, and everything to do with you being butt hurt again because we dont praise you as a hero for being the worlds greatest junkyard hack.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 08:18:46 AM »
I just finished rebuidling the rear end in a rubicon that was so beat up even the 30 spline chromoly shafts were twisted and I had them warrentied.

Anyone that knows Rick and his jeep know that his rubicon has been beat on more then just any other jeep in this club. I did the original gears nearly five years ago. I did the CV shaft around that time as well.

Moral is, in all that time and abuse, Rick is still on the original slip spline section of that shaft.

Once again, you are fixing stuff that isnt broke.

If your vibes are within whats normal, its referred to as "no vibes". This is the difference between dealing with someone that actually knows what they are talking about, and dealing with someone that is purely full of themselves, and full of sht. Like you.

This has nothing to do with an open mind, and everything to do with you being butt hurt again because we dont praise you as a hero for being the worlds greatest junkyard hack.

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. You are doing an excellent job representing your club. You obviously need to have the last word so fine it's all yours.
Remember I never insulted you or used offensive language.
Happy wheelin and wrenching
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. You are doing an excellent job representing your club. You obviously need to have the last word so fine it's all yours.
Remember I never insulted you or used offensive language.
Happy wheelin and wrenching

Save the troll bait tactics. I dont care if you havnt insulted me or not. If you act like an idiot, I will call you one. Its that simple.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »

holy crap.  way to go Rick!  get that heep back on the trail soon, spring is coming.  (and pay your CJA dues ya bum)
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon