Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tire Questions  (Read 9913 times)

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
Re: Tire Questions
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »
what I want to know is how they can retread tires using other companies tire treads?

you would think there would be some issues there.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

1988 Cherokee

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
I dont know, just found that site in another forum.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »
This is only my personal opinion based on my very limited knowledge of tires but I have always been told not to use them.   Maybe on a trailer... maybe... not very likely though.  It have to be the only tire available and my kids would have to be on fire...

Tires are probably one of the most important things on your vehicle.  I can't see any benefit to not coughing up the price for tires. 

If your really on a budget, try to swing a deal on some slightly used tires .   Tires are to important. Try to save money else where on your vehicle.   don't cheap out on the rubber.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:35 PM »
I'm with Kev on this one.

I would not put a retread on a Jeep. I MIGHT be willing to put them on a tandem-axle trailer...maybe.

Retreads are a little sketchy when it comes to commercial use...and that is with specific regulation controlling how they're used on large trucks. When there are 18 wheels, the need is there to regulate how and when re-treads are done.

We only have four wheels....and there are no regulations around light vehicle retreads that I know of.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 07:28:50 PM »
Do not used retread!.... there is a reason why the truckers ONLY put them on the trailers. It's a safety thing.

These tires gets hot and will blow up on you... it will DESTROY whatever is around the tire..Including the Jeep. I knew a guy that had them on a small Ford Ranger pickup truck... He learned the hard way not to used them when part of his box got blown away by his retread.

Ok ...I understand that it is a expensive sport... DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON SAFETY! .... Cheap out on fender flair, head lights, roof rack not on tires dude!... that's the only think keeping you on the road.

Buy a quality tire,... save up, pay the $$ and you will save at the long run.

Joel here on the site runs Kralers. They are expensive tires but he had them for ...I don't know ...6 years maybe?.. They still look new. I'm sure he will still have them in 6 +  years unless he gets tired of them.

You live, you learn,... I have learned the hard way. Buy Quality parts!

That's my 2cents

Offline slimbeam

• UberWheeler
  • 4" RE,3"body,35"rubber,dana 44 rear,sye,KEW winch
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »
X2 Dom;    also its illegal to use a retread on the steering axle of  a big truck, that in itself tells a story
I started out with nothing and so far I have most of it left

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 10:47:09 PM »
www.kijiji.ca

search each independently:

30x9.5
31x10.5
jeep wheels tires
jeep rims tires
jeep 15

There are good deals out there, really good deals.  JohnnyC currently has (or maybe had) 4 31x10.5's brand new for 600$  I have seen tires on wheels on kijiji in good shape (ie 50-60%) for 3-400 for the entire package.

dont ever cheap out on rubber, but it is okay to be thrifty if you know what I mean.  ( I am a wheel/tire whore I love buying and selling that stuff)
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold

1988 Cherokee

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »
I have to get these tires out of the back of my truck and onto the jeep itself, but I want to wait for a good deal on used tires to come along. Free up some space in the back and maybe go with a custom roof container for parts, tools and supplies.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:58:17 AM by 1988 Cherokee »

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »
Out of curiousity what are the generally prefered tires for Jeeps? are they the Wrangler Terrain 31x10.5R15s? I've seen those mentioned a few places. My TJ I picked up last week has some Michelin LTX all seasons (30x9.5R15) on them which I'll be using for now since they are in good condition but I just want to know what to look for in case a good deal comes up down the road.

Are there certain tires to watch out for (not to buy) (please don't say Michlin LTXs... ha!)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:00:03 PM by Knox »
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

1988 Cherokee

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
I heard canadian tires are bad, but I dont know through personal expirience. I would just go with the major brands, except Bridgestone/Firestone because they had a huge recall years ago and my good wrench head buddy says stay away from them.

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 04:35:44 AM »
Out of curiousity what are the generally prefered tires for Jeeps? are they the Wrangler Terrain 31x10.5R15s? I've seen those mentioned a few places. My TJ I picked up last week has some Michelin LTX all seasons (30x9.5R15) on them which I'll be using for now since they are in good condition but I just want to know what to look for in case a good deal comes up down the road.

Are there certain tires to watch out for (not to buy) (please don't say Michlin LTXs... ha!)

Those LTX tires are good for longevity, not so good for off road traction.

I am very Toyo Biased, the M/T's have great longevity and off road traction, but they are very heavy, worse mileage, etc.  I have heard good things about the Cooper light truck tires. 

Used tires are for sale often in this forum, and if you wanted to try out different tires you could find what you like that way.  IE a used set of bfg a/t's in similar size with about 50% may only cost you 2-300 here depending on the seller.

At the end of the day, if the tires take you where you want/need to go, they are perfect for your application.

2000 TJ Sahara - Sold

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »
I heard canadian tires are bad,

they are not.
 but just like always you get what you pay for.  The wrangler territory's are a good AT, and when on sale are a great deal. CT can get any bfg, goodyear, michelin and many others at a competive price, just ask .
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 08:45:35 AM »
fwiw there are many good used tires out there, but you have to remember they aren't going to be given away for cheap:  and if you're looking for something specific and someone has it, don't mess around; grab them, specially if they are a good deal. 

keep in mind there are two reasons why people sell tires;
1: they are sick of mud terrains and go back to a different brand OR they upgrade from AT to MT, OR a bigger size;  essentially this is a personal choice: example, i have jumped from Iroks to MTs etc nothing wrong with the old tires; just bored of them.
2: old owners 'bought new ones' in a similar size tread pattern.  but why?  well look at them; uneven treadwear, different % left on tires, damage etc.  these you can get cheap if thats what you want.    but if all 4 tires aren't identical, i'd run.   example; the tires i had on my old Grand, i could have sold on kijiji, but i have morals, and gave them away for a bottle of rum, with the promise they would be used only for the rims. why? because i knew they were junk.

my .02 on Canadian tire brands; don't bother.  if you want to order BFGs through then fine, but as ANYONE who runs a Canadian Tire brand 'roughrider' (like pook, and me unfortunately) and they can't wait to get these POS off their jeeps.  i've NOTHING good to say about canadian tire brands.  i'm sure the territory's will be fine for a few years; just hope you wear them out before they fall apart.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:42 AM »
the canadian tire rough riders were not the best but they were good in the mud and got me out wheeling giving me an oportunity to see what i really wanted to run. they were bad on the highway and ate the gasmilage but in the end i had fun with them. and like johnny says when i get rid of them i will practically give them away so some one else can use them and find out what they are looking for and have some fun.

it is true you get what you pay for.