Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Time for a diesel truck  (Read 4443 times)

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
Re: Time for a diesel truck
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 11:02:05 PM »
I am pretty set on the crew cab short box 3500 after some more research. I like the look and the maneuverability of the SRW as well but I guess I will know more after I drive it.

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:46:01 AM »
I am pretty set on the crew cab short box 3500 after some more research. I like the look and the maneuverability of the SRW as well but I guess I will know more after I drive it.

Good choice!  A few of my diesel truck buddies said to stay with the 2010+ trucks as they have a better transmission.  If you are getting the manual tranny I don't think you have much to worry about, usually stronger the. The auto.  Ford has a nice truck, but two friends of mine who own ford f-350's seem to have it in the shop.... a lot.  And well the Chevrolet, well it's a Chevrolet....
06 wk-soccer mom mobile aka Betty J
99 xj- Black Betty, 2" OME lift
94 yj- needs to be lifted aka Betty Rubble

Stupid hurts

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »
I love my dodge. All the things I've done to my dodge were because I wanted to.

Never had anything break or anything. Pretty reliable.

Did do the balljoints a month ago. Should be good for a long time now

I build HD trannies for dodge. It's probably the most expensive upgrade if u get a dodge. But u never have to worry about it again.

Mines worked perfect now as it was when I put it in yr ago with me beating on it all the time. Haha
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »
I second the Dodge idea.
I bought an '03 quad cab Laramie short box 2500. The 03-04's have the best fuel economy, and no emissions crap. 04.5 and up do.
I've put a fair bit into mine. Gauges, intake horn, exhaust manifold, FASS fuel lift pump, aftermarket tranny, and a smarty tuner. Now for a steering box brace, front end work, sequential turbos, bigger intercooler, injectors, dual CP3 fuel rail pumps, and she will be 500+ horse.
As it sits right now, on 35's, highway 110kph empty, 11-12 l/100km. But when the skinny pedal goes down, she goes, in a hurry!
Dodges are known for weak balljoints and steering box issues. And body rust. Otherwise, a pretty comfy truck, built around a damn good motor.

Real trucks don't have sparkplugs!
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
I love my dodge. All the things I've done to my dodge were because I wanted to.

Never had anything break or anything. Pretty reliable.

Did do the balljoints a month ago. Should be good for a long time now

I build HD trannies for dodge. It's probably the most expensive upgrade if u get a dodge. But u never have to worry about it again.

Mines worked perfect now as it was when I put it in yr ago with me beating on it all the time. Haha

Never mind pimping your truck, send me those pics already ;)
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
I work for a large fleet in their service garage.  Most of the new diesels we are getting are Dodges.  In my opinion the 6.7 is not what it's predecessor was due to all the added emissions.  We constantly have problems with them, and the kicker is, allot of the problems the dealer cant even fix.  Maybe consider a truck without the 6.7.

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
The 6.7 is a good engine.  The EGR and DPF deletes are very cheap to do and will make everything on the engine last a lot longer an 90% of the issues will be resolved.  You will get better fuel economy and more power too, just for an added perk!

Offline XJSteve

• Winch Wench
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 02:56:11 AM »
I run an F-450 dually with way too many mods required to haul a large truck camper (5300 lbs). I had no choice than to go with the dually but if you can avoid it, there is another argument against the dually; they handle very poorly in snow/ice. The dual wheels spread the weight but even my rig at 14,000 lbs slides all over the place in the back in winter. Also, as you get into heavier duty vehicles, the choices on tires etc. start to dry-up. Re-sale down the road would likely see more potential buyers for a single wheel vehicle. I suspect fuel prices will continue to climb as well and it also costs you 6 tires every time you replace them. So, unless you really need the dually, avoid it.

I really miss my 2002 duramax.
'99 XJ 5.5 " Rubicon Express, 33" tires, AW4, 4.0, ARB bumpers front/rear, Warn 9000 lb winch, Rockhard rollbar, Optimal yellow top, Cobra CB, bushwacker flares, Safari snorkel; saving-up for a 3" body lift

Offline johnbou

• Stocker
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:55 AM »
I run an F-450 dually with way too many mods required to haul a large truck camper (5300 lbs). I had no choice than to go with the dually but if you can avoid it, there is another argument against the dually; they handle very poorly in snow/ice. The dual wheels spread the weight but even my rig at 14,000 lbs slides all over the place in the back in winter. Also, as you get into heavier duty vehicles, the choices on tires etc. start to dry-up. Re-sale down the road would likely see more potential buyers for a single wheel vehicle. I suspect fuel prices will continue to climb as well and it also costs you 6 tires every time you replace them. So, unless you really need the dually, avoid it.

Great points Steve. I am thinking long and hard about all of this. Thanks

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:11 AM »
Pretty straight forward actually only buy a dually if you NEED one. If your trailer is so big you require it then you have no choice you either HAVE to buy a dually or get a smaller trailer.

Otherwise if you don't NEED a dually buy a SRW.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »

Most the consultants that work for me run the chevs. They are hard to beat for "light duty" 1 ton service.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline big black dodge

• Budget Lift
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
i would consider a 07.5 and earlier 5.9 cummins standard or the same year duramax.  Stay away from the fords - there is a reason their engines only last a few model years.  The dodge has some front end problems, but I am running 35s and did the ball joints @ 130k.  sitting @ 220k now and they are still tight.  For fuel economy, nothing can come close to the 5.9s.  Throw on a towing chip, exhaust, and intake, and you should see 20 mpg on the highway no problem.  Be careful of trucks that have been chipped up (high psi on the fuel rail and injectors and high EGTs).  I would also stay away from a dually (shitty brake system and too wide), look for a 3500 srw
81 CJ7 350, SM 465, Dana 300,  dual dana 44, 4" lift, soon 33" TSL