Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: FRONT DIFF noise in 01 WJ / auto detailing  (Read 1153 times)

Offline cvbbvc

• Budget Lift
FRONT DIFF noise in 01 WJ / auto detailing
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
i just picked up an 01 WJ, very nice shape, but after getting the muffler replaced, noticed low whine consistent with vehicle speed (not RPM.) 99% sure its coming from the front diff... anyone had similar experience? vehicle has around 270,000 km and i have no idea if fluids have been changed in the diffs, ever. any advice on what this is gonna cost me at a reputable shop?? any and all advice appreciated.

also, i am gonna throw a guy i just met some props here - i took the WJ to be detailed by a guy named DJay from absolute perfection auto detailing (his # is 403 467 5812) and he did an *incredible* job for the best price around. if you want to get your ride cleaned up ever, he is the guy to go to.

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
Re: FRONT DIFF noise in 01 WJ / auto detailing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
Feel free to give me a call at the shop 403-237-7706
Dave

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:50:57 AM »
Just off the top of my head I would look into the cost of a used part too....after you confirm the diff is the problem...diff work is really pricey and used parts are often less pricey, esp. when you are running stock gearing. good luck!
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
  • You spilled my macchiato!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
Google around to see if its a factory/manufacturing problem. For example... on WK's (2005 and newer) front diff gear "whine" is a reasonably common problem, right from the factory, that no amount of new or used parts will fix (so I have read).

Just a thought before you start chasing an unfixable problem.
2014 Jeep SRT
2009 Jeep XK, 5.7L, 3" lift & AEV rims
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »
i just picked up an 01 WJ, very nice shape, but after getting the muffler replaced, noticed low whine consistent with vehicle speed (not RPM.) 99% sure its coming from the front diff... anyone had similar experience? vehicle has around 270,000 km and i have no idea if fluids have been changed in the diffs, ever. any advice on what this is gonna cost me at a reputable shop?? any and all advice appreciated.

270k good luck. 
to my knowledge there are no recalls for WJ front diff problems, and even if they were i'm sure they'd just laugh at ya; 270k on a vehicle.  probalby won't get much from a dealership.

if it hasn't had fluids changed then ya, anythings possible.  is there even fluid in there ;)

does it increase/decrease with throttle response? 

diagnose the problem before you do anything.  wouldn't you be angry if you paid a guy lots of money to swap a diff (and find a diff) only to realize the sound is still there.........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
  • You spilled my macchiato!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
Certainly wasn't suggesting a warranty claim... just an alternate way of looking at the situation.

For example... the WK's came from the factory with front diff noise and after unsuccessfully trying to fix it... Jeep/dealers gave up and called it a non-issue. Management 101 now that I think about it... If you cant fix the problem... pretend it doesn't exist  ;)

So... as they say... if it ain't broke... don't fix it?
2014 Jeep SRT
2009 Jeep XK, 5.7L, 3" lift & AEV rims
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 08:55:23 PM »
For example... the WK's came from the factory with front diff noise and after unsuccessfully trying to fix it... Jeep/dealers gave up and called it a non-issue. Management 101 now that I think about it... If you cant fix the problem... pretend it doesn't exist  ;)

So... as they say... if it ain't broke... don't fix it?

thats how i view my YJ every time i drive it ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build