Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Powder Coat or Bed Liner?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline jeeptastic

• Budget Lift
Powder Coat or Bed Liner?
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
When I was out at the 101 last weekend Eric was bugging me about my front bumper so I have decided to step up and buy a new front bumper. I just wanted to ask what is better for a front bumper? Powder Coat or Bed Liner? I know there are about three different types of powder coating I can do. I think two ways have a smooth finish and the third way has a bumpy texture.

Are there any advantages to Powder Coating over Bed Liner or Bed Liner over Powder Coating?

When I get a rear bumper I would like to finish it the same way as the front bumper.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: Powder Coat or Bed Liner?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
powder coat doesn't seem to last very long in our environment.  it is also nasty to clean up and how do you do touchups?

everything i do gets 3 coats of good rust primer then paint or maybe bedliner some day.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:29 AM »
I use the spray can bed liner, everytime I get a scratch or any sign of rust I hit it with a wire wheel and throw another coat on it.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:57:12 AM »
I use the spray can bed liner, everytime I get a scratch or any sign of rust I hit it with a wire wheel and throw another coat on it.

Where can I get spray can bed liner?
Are there different brands? (and what brand do you use?)
How much does a can cover?
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
I just bought a can of that stuff at canadian tire for like $5, 1/2 off.
Southland store has a sale on spray cans in their automotive department.

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
Yep, thats the stuff I use, bought from part source/canadian tire.  I try not to look at the price when I buy jeep stuff, I just empty my wallet and hide the evidence.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »
Sweet - off to Canadian tire I go  ;D

Will this work over/directly on paint?  WHat would I need to do to prep. the surface?

I've seen a couple rigs that have the grill and front edges of their hood and fenders covered with this stuff - looks good and like a really good idea to protect against rocks and stuff that get kicked up.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
Most of the rigs you've seen with bedline on the hood were professionally done or done with a shutz gun and a quality product from a autobody store.  You will get what you pay for with the stuff from CT in a rattle can.   It's not the same stuff. 

Buy a can a try in on a piece of cardboard prior to putting it on your jeep.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
When I was out at the 101 last weekend Eric was bugging me about my front bumper so I have decided to step up and buy a new front bumper. I just wanted to ask what is better for a front bumper? Powder Coat or Bed Liner? I know there are about three different types of powder coating I can do. I think two ways have a smooth finish and the third way has a bumpy texture.

Are there any advantages to Powder Coating over Bed Liner or Bed Liner over Powder Coating?

When I get a rear bumper I would like to finish it the same way as the front bumper.

tremclad......... protects, shines real purty and its cheap....... and when you chip it/ etc just repaint it, wire brush it off, whatevs.... speaking of, i need to recoat some stuff on the YJ before the 101
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Most of the rigs you've seen with bedline on the hood were professionally done or done with a shutz gun and a quality product from a autobody store.  You will get what you pay for with the stuff from CT in a rattle can.   It's not the same stuff. 

Buy a can a try in on a piece of cardboard prior to putting it on your jeep.

Sound advice Kevin - thanks.

PITBULL

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »
i painted my whole jeep in bed liner and man is it tough i have a garage with a paint booth and every tool knowen to man in cluding a pipe bender and tire monter and balncer machine

if you need help or want something done im sure i can help but i have alot of learning to do as well

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 07:36:31 AM »
I've got my front bumper done with Rhino-liner (professional bedliner), and the skidplate attached to it with flat black rust-oleum.

I've only been able to put one "scratch" on the bedliner because it's...well...bedliner. It's tough, and the even with all the rocks, grit, and chemical crap on the roads in the winter it doesn't seem to harm the bedliner at all.. Touch-ups are easy - wire wheel and rattle can.

The skid plate is a different deal - it scratches waay easier, and it's starting to rust a bit...but that's okay. Touch-ups on that are easy too.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline jeeptastic

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the Help guys.