Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 03 TJ Front axle Ujoint reomoval.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
03 TJ Front axle Ujoint reomoval.
« on: July 24, 2010, 11:49:10 PM »
What is the easiest way to do this? do I need to remove the entire shaft? Can I mange to press out the joint while it is in its normal location? or should I just unbolt the knuckle?
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
Re: 03 TJ Front axle Ujoint reomoval.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:11:51 AM »
Take your wheel off. Take your brake off. Unbolt unit bearing. Pull axle shaft out with unit bearing still attached.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »
For the life of me I can not get the ujoint pressed out of the shaft......... Tried a vice, clamp with sockets, tried pounding on it with a rod and 5lb hammer.

Any thoughts?
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »
For the life of me I can not get the ujoint pressed out of the shaft......... Tried a vice, clamp with sockets, tried pounding on it with a rod and 5lb hammer.

Any thoughts?

Removed snap rings ?

Jeep
With stuff

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
I did remove the snap rings........ but after giving up on the instructions, or lack there of in the Hanes manual, I tried youtube....... apparently the trick is not to try and hammer the joint thru the yoke, instead it works much better to hammer the cap up into the socket, swap is now complete....... unfortunately this did not solve the problem of my mystery clunking/squeak. :'(

Offline Chiram000

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:17:36 AM »
Could be bad Ball Joints?

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »
You could also check your LCA bolts to make sure they're tight, and the bushings while you're under there.

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
You could also check your LCA bolts to make sure they're tight, and the bushings while you're under there.

Once again youtube was my friend on this, I was watching a video with some very similar sounding clacks, and squeaks; and it was the LCA's.

So now my question is this if I am looking to spend $150 - $200, would I be better off buying a new set of LCA's or should I just go with a bushing kit?

I an sitting with a 2" BB now and hope to swap in a mid price 3.5 to 4 inch lift by the end of next summer. 

Thoughts?

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
Go to PNP and pay around $30 for a set if you're planning to buy a lift in the near future.

Offline SilverTJ

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 12:30:38 AM »
I have all of the parts that were removed when my lift went in. Your welcome to the LCA's. I have an 04 TJ and these parts would have had about 60k on them mostly pulled behind an RV.
04 TJ - custom 8 ball shift knob

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 07:35:29 AM »
My dad has his stock control arms from his 05 unlimited that came off with about 25K.  If you are interested let me know
'95 YJ with a few mods