Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 4.6l stroker cooling  (Read 1040 times)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
4.6l stroker cooling
« on: July 20, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »
Im being told that with the higher 9.6 comp. ratio, egine temp seem to be higher than what the stock 4.0l usually runs..not that they run cool to begin with...im already running a 3 core rad and everything seems to be fine, but with the swap, im wondering what others running a stroker motor are experiencing, and what they are doing to aleviate cooling issues...So far i have read reviews on everything from flowkooler water pumps, to dual fans, taurus fans, 180 degree thermostats..so on so on...but what is going to work in our climate/elevation/conditions?
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: 4.6l stroker cooling
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »
I run almost 11:1 with no coolings issues.

A good condition stock cooling system is more then enough around here.

If you want to address anything with cooling, get some harland sharp roller rockers.

Nice upgrade to the valve train, less money then a fancy rad that isn't required, and it will provide some cooling benefits due to reduced valve train friction.

Run what you got, and see if you need anything from there.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
i already have yella terra roller rockers...but a bad lifter is making my 4.0l a headache...i will run what i got and address issues if they arise...thank god for the stroker forums.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »
I run almost 11:1 with no coolings issues.

A good condition stock cooling system is more then enough around here.

If you want to address anything with cooling, get some harland sharp roller rockers.

Nice upgrade to the valve train, less money then a fancy rad that isn't required, and it will provide some cooling benefits due to reduced valve train friction.

Run what you got, and see if you need anything from there.

the roller rocker comment confuses me  ???   , particularily the cooling benefit  part.

crawling or trail running has never had the temps on mine at a frightening level except if the rad is caked in mud.

on the highway is an entirly different matter , the  harder  you mash the throttle , the hotter it runs.

i had a custom rad built when the stroker went in  , triple row , " racing" core  , installed  an electric fan too . that wasn't enough , a larger fan helped as did a pint of water wetter.  bottom line  is  , until i start trailering my jeep i still gotta run it down the highway   ,  keeping an eye on the temp guage and foot outta the throttle while doing so . 

hey bill        if you were to  check youre compression using a compression guage , what would the cranking pressure read on the guage ?

mine's 185 psi

Offline stroker sahara

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »
Mine runs fine as well. I just have a stock rad and fan and seems to stay cool. I do plan to put in a Contour fan to aid, but no problems as of now.
If you want to run with the big dogs you have to be able to pee in the tall grass.

1989 YJ SOA, 36" SX, 4.6 Stroker...

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
I'll have to check some time.

The base setup is a 9.5:1 keithblack piston and shaved head for another point.

When I get chance I'll do the gauge and get you the when I get a chance. I have no idea what the dynamic compression will look like.

The rocker comment is a simple matter of reduced friction making for less heat into the oil, which translates to less overall height. A really minor effect, but just like leaving a motor dirty, it all adds up.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]