Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: duel batteries  (Read 1416 times)

Offline giorno71

• Baby Wheeler
duel batteries
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »
hey guys, hoping someone has done this with success. I'm trying to find out info on wiring up duel batteries in my 94 yj 4.0l h.o, i wan t to put in a normal battery dedicated to starting and a deep cell dedicated to winching, aux lights, inverter, amp,etc. I'd like to be Abel to have it auto boost if needed but I'm not gonna be to fussy on that. i bought a battery isolator from crappy tire but from my understanding of the instructions it wont work with my alternator because it's internally regulated { Champion replacement alt from crappy tire}. i hope I'm wrong on that. I'm just waiting on calls back with prices on battery separators, but I'm also wondering if either the isolator or the separator or both will also prevent either battery from overcharging? i did use the search function but didn't find what I'm looking for

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: duel batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
Don't use an isolator. Use a solenoid. Also for best results both battieres should be of the same size,type and age.

Winches pull heavy current for a short time, RV batteries are meant to run low current for extended periods. In my opinion RV batteries shouldn't be used for winchs. Lots of people do it though and have no problems, I think for the most part they are using the Orbital or Optima glass mat batteries which are built different than a regular RV battery.

I have 2 Orbital batteris in my Jeep from Canadian tire.

Just a question, why do you want to have a dual system? A good high quality battery and some minor uprades to the charging system(both of which should be done before a dual system) will go a long way....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »

Offline giorno71

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »
i wan t to put in a normal battery dedicated to starting and a deep cell dedicated to winching, aux lights, inverter, amp,etc. I'd like to be Abel to have it auto boost if needed

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »
I just did that and agree with Clay.  Didn't use a deep cycle and used a solenoid.  If you want to see it pm me and we can get together.
Jim
08 Rubicon

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »
aqnd I used a forklift connector on the front so I can boost someone ( including myself!)
Jim
08 Rubicon

Offline giorno71

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »
with a solenoid you have to switch manualy between batts to charge do you not? not to mention i hava a brand new deep cycle that i would like to use lol
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:31:12 PM by giorno71 »

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
No your batteries are connected when the engine is running. The solenoid disconnects when the engine is turned off.  Guess you are going to try the deep cycle.  Probably it will be fine.  We normally don't push things to the extreme.
08 Rubicon

Offline giorno71

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »
ahhhh. not sure if ill use the deep cycle yet, im worried about over charging one since the r different batts

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Since you have it already you may as well use it. 

My system is wired with a 3 way switch.

Position 1 is auto, batteries are connected when key is on.

Position 2 is off, batteries are disocnected, aux battery is isolated from the truck.

Position 3 is on, batteries are always connected, used for self boosting if main battery dead.

If you read that whole link you'll find wiring diagrams on how to do this.

Just don't expect great results if you use crap wiring and half worn out batteries.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
here my opinion take it or leave it. forget this dual battery crap. Put one Odyssey/North star in. Bear Trax(780651.1621) sells them.  give him a call. one battery that you can draw done a stupid amount of times and it want hurt it.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
My two cents on this.......
I don't know how much room is under the hood of a YJ
If you use a standard battery make sure it stands upright! You can't put it on its side!
Both batteries should be the same size,cca, etc.
With my setup I use Dual spiral cells from Cantire and  an Isolator, Just DO NOT USE A CHEAP ONE!
A cheap isolator will fail under heavey load and could leave you with other probs.
Also cheap solenoids are lite duty and only carry  a small amount of current.
The best solenoid (WARN) only carry about 70 amps, and most winches will draw about 200amps.

The best advice .....

Do some research before you spend any more money!!
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 02:29:04 PM »
Painless wiring makes a pretty sweet wiring kit for running dual batteries.  Similar to Clays set up with a 3 way switch.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦