Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: The best CB???  (Read 2413 times)

Offline bctallgirl

• Stocker
  • my dirty JK
The best CB???
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:14:26 PM »
I'm shopping around for a CB for my Jeep, I know some truck drivers like Cobra but a full size CB would take a lot of space in my JK.  I'm told Uniden is good too and they're a good size but I wonder if a small unit has the same transmitting power as a full size.  Anyone have an opinion on what's best?  ???

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
Re: The best CB???
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:22:47 PM »
depends what you want really. I grabbed a monster full sized cobra 29 nw wx bt and drilled into the top of the dash above the radio in my JK. Yeah, it's big, but that's okay with me. It has a wireless bluetooth phone function that I really like, and the CB is crystal clear.
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline bctallgirl

• Stocker
  • my dirty JK
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:18 PM »
depends what you want really.

Good point.  I want a CB that has a strong and clear transmitter so I can be heard and a unit that I can hear others clearly without a lot of squelch.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »
All CB come out of the box regulated to a max of 4watts transmitting power so it that regard they are all pretty much equal. Where they differ is in how well they receive, how clear they transmit and what bells and whistles they come with.

Many Uniden and Cobra radios share the same internals. For example the Cobra 29 and Uniden 76 are the same radio. The Cobra 25 and uniden 66/68 are basically the same radio as the 29 but with a few bells and whistles deleted to make it a smaller radio. If you are looking for a 29 but want something smaller look at the 25.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
I can't speak to the other models because I have only owned this one, but have been told that it is really clear from others, and the sound is crisp through the unit. I use the Bluetooth speakerphone daily too  ;D. One of the keys when mounting your CB (no matter which one you get), is to use a thick grounding strap (12 gauge braided wire works well) if you mount it to the tailgate. Also, make sure you scratch a little bit of paint off the tailgate and tub where you screw the ground strap to; makes a huge difference. I have the Wilson 3 foot flexi fibeglass antenna and have been happy with it as well
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »
i recommend the uniden pro 520 for jeeps.

all radios are low power and about equal.  it is the install and hardware that makes the big difference and that also depends what vehicle you drive.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 01:10:56 PM »
Bass pro shops had some mini marine CBs that I was looking at for my wifes JK...... might be worth a look.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 02:09:46 PM »
This is the one I decided to go with for the Rango...http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822 ;)  Does not require alot of space, has decent range(really depends on chosen antennae set-up) and portable.  Got mine from Dean over at Comtek at the Roadking Barlow and Peigan.

Here's a link to some offroader reviews...http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showproduct.php?product=389 8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:27:55 PM by NUXJR »

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »
i recommend the uniden pro 520 for jeeps.

all radios are low power and about equal.  it is the install and hardware that makes the big difference and that also depends what vehicle you drive.

110% agree... small and works like a charm

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »
except it changes your voice to have a silly French accent... humorous, and frustrating at the same time.....

:D
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
Cést là vìe!
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham