Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New boots and socks**(update)  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
Re: New boots and socks
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
Tried changing it Al.

I'm at 35 now.  Tried about 50 because at 35 they look pretty low, not much difference in handling though.  I've read with high load range tires you actually need more pressure than stock P range (like 10-15 more).  Not sure how true that is because I'm too lazy to use the chalk test on the work truck.

alot of this relates to hhow much weight the tire will carry.

keeping the same tire size and going fron a P to a LT, you typically have to add about 10 -12 psi to hold the same weight.

now, with say my cherokee, stock ish size of 215/75r15 I changed pressure from 33 to 30 going to the 31x10.5r15's, now it it was an LT 215 then I would be arround 43, but because the larger size will hold more at the same pressures, I can drop it some(28 would work good for me), 33's would be somewhere arround 24-26 and that should be able to handle the fully loaded weight that the jeep would weigh.

with bigger trucks the same is true, the larger the tire, the lower pressure you could(and usually should) run.
this is partially due to larger tires having lower pressure ratings(but usually still hold the weight for the vehicle at the reduced pressure)

a lt265/70r17 will hold something like 3400 lbs at 80 psi(something like that, dont have specs in front of me), and a 315/70r17 will hold about the same at 50 psi.
something like that anywho.

just what I know,

cheers
steve

97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(