Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: The Dana 35  (Read 4985 times)

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: The Dana 35
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »

The only advantages to them is that they are cheap, and readily available compared to a 44. The reason they are cheap and readily available is because jeep guys are the only people that use them, and again, thats because jeep people are cheap to a fault.

What's that saying? There's no one cheaper than a Jeeper ?

The d44 is a better rear axle in regards to service, aftermarket support, clearence, and weight. The only downside is that its slightly more expensive.

I was once mislead to beieve that the Dana 44 was hard to find out of an XJ or MJ. Absolute BS ! I've found 4 in the last year alone. 

Oh, and Bill...not everyone can afford a Spidertraxx 609 ;)  .....sorry buddy. I couldn't help myself
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »
so, whats the differnece between spending 2500 on an 8.8 and 2500 on a D35? 

i'd take the 8.8 anytime.

or is a built 35 better than a built 8.8?

weld the tubes, throw in a detroit............... hands down stronger than a 35............. is it not?  add a super 88 kit you could run 38s..... would you run 38s on a D35??????

i may be a junkyard whore, but i'm also not a fan of my axles being worth 5x what my jeep is worth...................

but then again, i run an 8.8.................. ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 11:56:13 PM »
so, whats the differnece between spending 2500 on an 8.8 and 2500 on a D35? 

i'd take the 8.8 anytime.
IMHO... If you're planning to spend $2500 on an 8.8 or D35  :o then you're a little messed up on your priorities
Jeep
With stuff

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 08:39:46 AM »
IMHO... If you're planning to spend $2500 on an 8.8 or D35  :o then you're a little messed up on your priorities

I agree ...

wait a minute...

Does that count if you spend $ on a HPD30, Superior chromoly , trust , True trac, Gears +set up, custom knuckles, flipped tie rod with 3/4 ton tie-rod ends... custom steering +hydro Assist +custom 3 link...

:'( :'( :'( :'(... why you guys have to be that way?.. I thought it was the rule not to count what you spent on you Jeep... :'( :'( :'( :'(

I have to go in the corner of my garage and cut my wrists open now...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:42:22 AM by SwampSinger »

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
That's a D30 not a D35 or 8.8. Can't really include suspension and steering either, that's off topic!  :)

Besides, didn't you do it up over time, losing track of the $$$ invested.... little different then planning a new diff build.

It's not a bad setup, just not enough I think for those that use it often, with big tires (35"+) and are always searching for bigger, badder obstacles...
But you did it, not me, so why don't you share with the class what you learned.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
He learned that 35s are the upper limit on any d30. No matter how much you polish.

Which takes us back to the 88 again.

An 88 can handle as large as 38" tires but its pointless to even consider due width and lack front axles available to compliment it.

People often make the mistake of thinking what they have should work for everyone.

Take john. His 88 is a 30$ swap because he has a yj.

In a tj that's 500$ worth of brackets.

Plus 3-400 in labor if the user can't do it himself.

Most people never need anything beyond a mildly built 35. If they do start wrecking those, an 88 is not a very good replacement.

88s have their place. Low budget yj swaps and the odd low budget tj do it yourselfer.

This is not to crap on anyones stuff. Its just realistic feedback from an experienced axle builder that doesn't bias all his opinions based on what he runs.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 04:29:08 PM »
So really what you are all saying is I should be good with the 30 / 35 on my ZJ if i Stay with 31's or 33's at the most... ;D

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 04:30:48 PM »
Especially since it doesn't run, Mike.

:D
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »
thought this 8.25 thingy was goin in a XJ.................  twoud be silly to swap that into a TJ for sure.

i loves me leaf springs ;) but they aren't for everyone.............
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »
the '93 is dead, but i just got a '97 that even has paint!!! ;D

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »
Well I'm picking up an 8.8 tomorrow and plan on sticking it under a TJ so I guess we'll have to see how it goes. I'll take some pictures and put a review in the build forum so you guys can see what it takes to get it done.

A bit deciding factor is do you have/know someone with welding/fab skills, and how much is it worth before you're better off going another route.

I like making things so the 8.8 has a bit of appeal because it's not something you can just stick under. It's going to take a little bit of planning and problem solving. Also for $16 and some diesel in my friends portable welder, even if I can't make it work I'm out a case of beer, splash of fuel but gained knowledge.

I do want to swap my rear axle anyways, and trying to find a D44 for the back is pretty hit or miss and will be spendy. Plus I have the advantage of having disk brakes in the back now (bigger tires = harder to stop).