Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: dream trip  (Read 3159 times)

Offline sqareyz

• Winch Wench
Re: dream trip
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
not new to wheelin, but kinda scared of heights. I think a guy would be too busy tryin to not mess up, to really notice the height. At least that's what i'm telling myself. ;D

Offline rocnrol

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
every one of the trails we did around ouray had spots that DEMANDED your full attention. like gun said, not overly technical, just spots of narrow, sometimes steep, shelf roads with nothing but a long way down if you messed up. i found the actual switchbacks the most unnerving on black bear. probably could have done some with less forward/back, just didn't want to push my luck. like gun said about Governor basin, it some pucker parts, Tim and i tried an off shoot doing some exploring, and i got to a point where i was on a rather extreme side hill, with nothing to stop a roll over, and i had to stop as i reached my level of comfort. then i had to back up what i had just done. once i made it back to the main trail, gun asked if my throat was dry, i rasped out a weak yes :o the climb on grizzly lake trail gun mentioned was another stand out as well for one that got my full attention. i had my dad ridding shotgun with me on that one, hes a 40 year vet to wheeling, and when we got to the top he looked over at me, i don't think i have ever seen his face that white ever, and with his hands still with a death grip on the holly crap handles he said " what store did you get those crazy pills from?" once we were at the lake at the top, gun asked me if i had seen him in my mirror on that climb. i told him that not at all had i seen him as i had been a little preoccupied with a few issues of my own and why was he asking, thinking maybey i had missed a great shot of him pulling a wheel or something. turns out he had come within inches of running in to the back of me as i had slowed up considerably trying to get over some of the obstacles. as it was a climb where stopping was not an option, gun said either i was going to make the obstacle before he got there, or i was goin to get a bump. crazy.

let me tell you though, i have been in lots of high country in Alberta and BC, nothing compares with what you will see there. its something i will never forget.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »
cool.  that's about how i always imagined [hoped] it would be.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon