Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2010 Show & Shine  (Read 4599 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: 2010 Show & Shine
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
Hey Kev... like I said before, you guys need a WOMAN to help with this event  :-*

I'm more than happy to help out!!

We tried to arrange that, but she turned us down. :-[

Seriously...this IS a great chance for folks that aren't yet members. There will be an experienced member of the CJA coordinating the organization of the Show 'n Shine...but that person is there to coordinate - not to organize all of the various contributing factors that make up the whole event. If you've been to one of our show 'n shines and enjoyed it, this is a great time to volunteer to help out with part of it.

Want to know what works and what doesn't for suspension mods? Volunteer to help with the TRI ramp.

Looking at buying a winch? Organize the winch race!

Are you good at public speaking? Volunteer to be the anouncer.

Got some great sales skills? Help out by soliciting prizes from sponsors.

Graphic design skills? Volunteer to help work on this year's poster.

There's also a place for people to help out by loaning things. Shade awnings, orange pylons...

Just because you don't have a membership card yet doesn't mean that you can't contribute.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:13:23 PM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »
help out YES!!  Run NO!!!  But I think that's the big problem isn't it??  Everyone is willing to help, but no one wants to be in charge.  If some one does want to take lead, I will be there to help as well  ;D

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
help out YES!!  Run NO!!!  But I think that's the big problem isn't it??  Everyone is willing to help, but no one wants to be in charge.  If some one does want to take lead, I will be there to help as well  ;D

Many people are supposedly willing to "help out" but there's a VERY short list of people that are willing to cowboy up and commit.

For someone that's not a member yet, it makes sense. Help out in a supporting role, figure out if the CJA is the right place, sure. That's how we all started out, and it makes sense.

For someone that's already a member...you've already said that the CJA is the place for you. Why are so few members willing to step up and commit to making a contribution by organizing things?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:35:12 PM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »
Many people are supposedly willing to "help out" but there's a VERY short list of people that are willing to cowboy up and commit.

Don't I know it. That crazy girl running around last year like a chicken with her head cut off was me. Because lots of people offered, and then disappeared when one of the coordinators needed help with something because the 'volunteers' were too busy watching the RTI ramp. Both members and non-members who offered to help, I might add.

So sit back and have as many great 'suggestions' as you'd like, if you don't want to pony up, don't bother. Try saying, I think I can help make the next Show & Shine a bigger success by creating a spreadsheet to track competition results. And then do it. Instead of - hey, why didn't you do this. Well, because it's not where my paycheque comes from, but I'm glad you've been blessed with all the free time in the world to bitch about what everyone else can accomplish with their free time.