Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: bad waterpump?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
bad waterpump?
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »
went to lunch today (actually to the bolt supply house, no lunch) and when i got out of the Yj there was a pretty decent puddle of antifreeze accumulating on the ground. i could watch it dripping pretty bad.  went into the store anyways, got my bolts and came out and it looks like its stopped.

first impression was the thermostat housing as this has happened to me before. however, upon inspection, it looks like the tstat housing is relatively dry. it could be coming from beneath that , or the top of the housing. 
the only thing wet on the front of the engine is what looks like the timing chain cover. 

now, real question is that the waterpump that gave up the ghost or another tstat housing issue?  i dont' really care because i have replacements for both, but whats perplexing is it stopped.

i droveback to the office, and aran the jeep for 5 mins in parking lot. not a drop. pulled the rad cap and it spit fluid at me.........

weird or is this common?
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
Re: bad waterpump?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »
Have you ever watched "Herbie"  maybe your jeep is trying to tell you something?

water pump should have a drain hole at the bottom that will leak if it's bad.  I'd check the fluid when it's cool, it's safer that way  8)
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
ya i'm gonn a rip it all out this weekend. just another thing ;) gonna go efan while i'm at it

Offline Grease Nipple

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Sure the puddle was yours? LOL

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
Sounds like the coolant was over full and after running for a while then stopping (circulation stops) it expanded out the overflow/rad cap. Is there a remote resevoir on that? I'd put money on that hose running to it being cracked. If the coolant is low it will still draw properly without leaking (negative pressure) but when it goes to overflow it would be positive pressure and leak.

As to why it didn't leak the second time it would have already expelled the excess coolant and is now at the proper level.

Did you fill your coolant recently when it was cold out? It was fairly warm today compared to other days...

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »
nope.  not a drop of coolant anywhere near the overflow.  all lines are bone dry.  haven't put coolant or anything in for a few months.
its leakin out the waterpump at the bottom.  very random occurance, hence i'm asking. its weird.....

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 03:16:25 AM »

Ayup. Dwight is right John-boy. Your waterpump is about to crap the bed. There's a weephole at the bottom of your waterpump. Coolant from there means time for a new waterpump. Add that to your "to do list"
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
Ayup. Dwight is right John-boy. Your waterpump is about to crap the bed. There's a weephole at the bottom of your waterpump. Coolant from there means time for a new waterpump. Add that to your "to do list"

its a long to-do list.............

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 08:48:49 AM »

C'mon dude...it's a Jeep. It's not fixed until you're broke.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 09:13:27 PM »
Water pumps can hard to pin point. Sometimes they puke coolant like crazy, and not a drop other times. Depends on the failure, sometimes they only leak when cold and not turning, other times only when hot and turning, or during cool down. Can be ant combination of factors. Climb on your back, or get a mirror and check the weep hole for any signs of coolant, fresh or a dry stain, if  found put it on the to-do list. Probably last awhile longer but could let go any time.
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »
Water pumps can hard to pin point. Sometimes they puke coolant like crazy, and not a drop other times.

The amount of coolant puking out is directly related to how far you are from civilization.

I say replace it as cheap insurance.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:38 PM »
The amount of coolant puking out is directly related to how far you are from civilization.

I say replace it as cheap insurance.

Vince

amen.  picked up a waterpump and a bottle of coolant.  she'll be back up and running asap.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
new waterpump is in. i do not believe it is leaking anymore.  which is good. there was some spots of coolant but i'm pretty sure thats from when i filled up the the overflow last night (it was cold ok)  and of course it won't freeze right? ;)