Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Look what I found  (Read 4685 times)

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Look what I found
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:51:32 PM »
In my jeep the prevous owner was a soccer mom

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Look what I found
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »
putting on the braces and rocker skins i found i needed new floor skins .

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
Oh man, looks like the floors in my old XJ.  :o

What is that a picture of..?
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
I tis a medal from calgary soccer assciation dated 2000 . Ordered some floor panels from cross canada collision parts for the floor pan  both sides . Did not realize it was so bad till I started working on the new rocker guards.  The rust started from the top going down . The interior carpet is rubber backed so the water went through the rug and stayed there and could not dry up or drain out. The rug was bone try on top and water poured out of the bottom layers of souund proofing and heat shield under the front foot well. Virtually no rust behind the seat mount and a lot less on the drivers side . The floor pans where ordered a couple of weeks ago and should be here by friday . The new rocker skins will be welded to the top of the old rocker guard , wrap around to the pinch seam welded and then four supports welded to the uni body frame. The body floor pans will be attached to the frame using wafer screws and structeral adhesive , contrversal I know but the seam will be stronger and more resistant to frame flex when I,m done.  I,ll post pictures as work progressess

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:01:09 PM »
I've got an XJ  drivers side  floor panel  for sale ,   if interested ,       same as what is generally available from cross Canada and others   ,   I had intended to use it but  plans changed.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »
Wa hoo floor pans arrived today . Will be back on the road after the weekend , will post pictures .

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »
Got the passenger side in and a small patch on the drivers side done.  Painted , bedlined and semi undercoated . A little noisy now but the jeep wander is gone .

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:08 PM »
pics andy ;) we need pics
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
These are the pans and this is the pan installed using structeral adhesive and wafer screws . Should be a lot stronger the spot welds .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:03:20 PM by morerpmfred »

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:10:38 PM »
The paint lines are used as a guide for grinding with the flapper disk as the metal needs to  be bare with no galvanizing primer left. Each screw has about the same holding power as a spot weld . The welds where from 2 to 4 inches apart and the screws are about  2 inches apart.  The four bolts are what the seat attaches to .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:14:03 PM by morerpmfred »

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
I was always under the impression that floors had to be welded in as the Jeep is a unibody and the floor is structure. I once riveted a floor in and failed an inspection because of it in a Fox body Ford,..
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
Yes this is controversial , five years ago definitely not . With the advent of impactor power tools that came out on the market about then and combined with structural adhesives .
The screws are a number 10 9/16 fine thread wafer screw . Ten years ago it would have taken three to four hours to fasten the pan down but with an drill , now an impactor it takes about fifteen minutes . The frame part is hardened steel so holes have to be drilled out and then the screw is driven in , on the tub or the rail side only the impactor is used. All screws , drill bits and driver bits are from industrial fastener suppliers . the quality of these from canadian tire , Home depot etc . is not up to snuff . IE a impactor bit from home depot lasts about five screws then breaks .  The strength of each crew is equal to a spot weld . In engineering terms a screw is a modified wedge .
The structural adhesive is a little different with three major brands from different body shop suppliers here in Calgary with up to about 45 different grades and set up times from each manufacturer . The good stuff comes from Australia . Some adhesives set up in as little as 45 seconds on up to 4 hours and some for plastic and some for metal some for door panels and some for stuctor .  The frame rails and rocker panels are considered structure . Increased strength can be added but using a mechanical lock IE adding the odd extra hole before gluing , flapper grinding all glued surfaces with 30 to 40 grit and by adding lots of heat during the last part of the set and all of the cure time.
Doors on Chevy trucks have been glued since about 87 , door panels from about the same time as well and now there are cars out there that are glued together  . I believe the jeep compass is glued together.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:18:58 PM »
One of the big advantage of using glue on the rails is that the glue is about one inch wide and impervasive (SP)to water penetration [ no rust ] On demolition of the existing floor pan the metal floor was rusted though except where the spot welds where from the bottom up the rest of the pan from the top down and yet there was no rust on the rail . Water had penetrated the joint for pretty much the length of the pan .