Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Garmin Website Sucks  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
Garmin Website Sucks
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:30:39 AM »
The Garmin Website Sucks...

I have been trying to download and install my $89. topo maps for three days. The site is slow and simply doesn't work - almost at the end of my frustration limit. It appears the only download server is in the UK. Bad Bad Bad.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:51:03 PM by Rich99 »
Rich.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Garmin Website Sucks
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
I don't think that you're supposed to be able to download direct from their site into Canada. Last time I visited to purchase, the site indicated that GPS central is the approved retailer in Canada, and that's where one should get the maps.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »
I didn't see any such warning and it gladly took my money. Now I cannot get the maps.

I can see all sorts of problems with their infrastructure and application architecture. No wonder it doesn't work.

I will check out the site you recommended though.
Rich.

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
Weird.  I don't see why you couldn't download from the site.

The Garmin site always confused me. Which is why I buy my Garmin stuff from GPScity.ca  They have a store in Calgary and are incredibly easy to deal with.

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
Odd, I just did a map update (lifetime card) yesterday and other than having to manually install their plug-in because I'm running the Beta version of Firefox, it worked (slow indeed, always has been, I think they limit outgoing bandwidth).  I was downloading the City Navigator North America NT update 2011.3.

Oh and I agree, their website is a pain to navigate, only works properly with the right plug-ins and didn't show my lifetime NuMaps update on my product list or anywhere else until I installed their plug-in and then it showed for the unit I bought it for. I was starting to try to remember where I put the card!
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »
updated mine yesterday too, had to wait untill night because the site was soo busy but had no problems other than that

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:50:45 PM »
I finally got it to work. I was after the North American Update and the Canada West TOPO (a total of 2,5 GB). The site was crazy failing from all the xmas updaters. I am sure that everyone who got a Garmin for Christmas was in there causing havok including you guys!

haha, ok, I downloaded the SRD Ghost maps and the Calgary Area Trails... are there any others I should get my hands on?

Thanks

ps: I was running a mac too... lol
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:12:56 PM by FiEND »
Rich.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:21 PM »
ps: I was running a mac too... lol

Well there is the problem right there!
04 TJ Rubi