Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What tires do you guys recommend?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline CB3

• Stocker
What tires do you guys recommend?
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:18:51 AM »
What tires do you guys recommend that will work well on mud, ice, snow, winter roads, and daily driving on highway year round?

Note: they have to be good on winter roads and able to be used year round on highway too.

What tire and what size?

Should I add cut sipes, or not?

P.S. - no, I haven't lost my interest in Trxus MT, but I want to learn what others like and why. If there is a tire out there that is already made that fits my needs, I'd love to hear about it. I'm not married to Trxus.

P.S. - I'm not a newbie to 4 wheeling, but I am a newbie to anything other than Cooper (AT, LT, and ST) and BFG (AT). I've always bought Cooper and BFG tires, but I'm no longer satisfied with Cooper or BFG treads. I'm impressed with my friends' Trxus MT tires performance, which I've not witnessed them using, and one of these guys put his Trxus MT 34 X 12.5 on my Jeep for 2 weeks for me to test. I was impressed with Trxus MT offroad. However, I'm open to other brands and other suggestions.

Edited in Later: I forgot to mention it earlier, but I have also previously run Goodyear MTR (old style) and Goodyear Wrangler. I currently run Goodyear tires on my car (came with them). So far, I've been disappointed with every Goodyear tire I've ever tried. However, I'd consider trying MTR-K or Duratrac - since I've heard good things.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:56:26 PM by CB3 »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: What tires do you guys recommend?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
i ran a 37x14.50 Toyo open country MT on my Rubi. i felt safe in any condition and they flat out performed offroad.
i ran a 35x12.50 (equivalent) BFG AT on my 97 12V Ram longbox. i felt safe onroad and offroad, they were not great.
i now run a Nitto trailgrapplerMT in 35x12.50 on the Ram and i feel safer onroad than with the AT's. i think these tires are even better than the Toyo. i would run them in a heartbeat offroad. They came to the market Spring 2010.

i have also run:
GY Wrangler MT in 33x12.50. Good onroad, not so good offroad.
BFG MT in 33x9.50. Scariest onroad tire i have ever driven. eek!
GY MTR in 37x12.50. Great on and offroad.
GY MTR in 31x10.50. Only ever onroad and i felt safe.
Interco Swamper SX in 33x15.50. Great offroad. Onroad very scary.
Maxxis Bighorn 32x11.50. Great offroad, not so good on winter hardpack or ice.

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
Goodyear Duratracs are very good in snow and ice. I tested them out ice fishing with my father in law 2 weekends ago. 265/75/16 size on an F150. We were able to go quite far into the bush in 2wd. Breaking trail most of the way, even turned around in the snow a couple times in 2wd.

I have 285/75/16 Toyo MT's and love them. Pricey but a great tire offroad, and the onroad noise is not much.
98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
Wow dude...you've got a serious talent for asking questions that are guaranteed to stir the pot on this board! It's all good though. I think that we can offer our opinions without slinging TOO much mud at others who happen to disagree with us. Well, some of us can.

If I were to pick one tire to run year-round both on and off road, I would get a set of Toyo Open Country MT's and sipe them. I've run mine on my DD in the summer and fall months, and Spinalguy is right with regard to offroad with them - they just plain work. They offer good traction in every type of terrain I've tried them on, and substantially better lateral stability than my "winter" Goodyear Duratracs.

If you want to look at a less off-road oriented tire and something that's close to an AT, the Duratracs might be a good choice. They will offer about 80% of the performance of a first rate MT offroad, and do VERY well with ice and snow on the road. I've got mine studded, and they perform VERY well on snowy and icy roads. Not as well as a true dedicated "winter" tire like the tires on my girlfriend's Audi, but I have yet to find someone that offers a 35 inch dedicated winter tire.

Spinalguy may have a point with the Nittos - I believe that they are also made by Toyo. I'd be interested to try them after I wear out my Toyos. Maybe.  ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline CB3

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Wow dude...you've got a serious talent for asking questions that are guaranteed to stir the pot on this board! It's all good though. I think that we can offer our opinions without slinging TOO much mud at others who happen to disagree with us. Well, some of us can.

The pot has to be stirred to cook something good. I think it's OK to stir the pot when the goal is to accomplish something useful, or learn something.

I live near Mt St Helens. I don't ask US Citizens for winter driving advice because I think I know more about winter driving than most of them. I only ask Canadians for tire advice. So please don't anyone get to fumed at me when I stir the pot here. I only do it with the best intentions of wanting to learn from you because I respect you.

I'll give you an example, the Eastern USA is currently having snow storms, and in some of the Southeast states they've declared a state of emergency due to 4 to 6 inches of snow. That's embarrassing. In the Northeastern USA there haven't been any "state of emergency" declarations, but they are still very nervous about a little snow. Either that, or the USA news media has nothing better to report on. Has world peace broken out, and now a few inches of snow is worthy of hours of coverage each day? Sometimes I find my fellow US Citizens to be a bit embarrassing in their pitiful hand wringing over a little snow or ice. It's pathetic.

The USA Northeast and Midwest do get a lot of winter weather, but they don't have mountains like I have in Washington State. My Buick car can drive fine in up to 6 inches of snow when road not overly steep. How can I ask for winter driving and tire advice from my fellow Americans when most of them know far less about it than I do?  

I come to Canadian forums for opinions and advice about tires that are good for winter driving, good on road, and good off road, and good on steep grades too. I think only Canadians are qualified to give advice for that combination of things.

I'm sure Alaskans know about snow and ice, but their snow and ice are (IMO) far colder and drier than what I get - because it's far colder in Alaska than in Western Washington State.

I get a wide range of winter conditions due to a wide range elevations and various temperatures at each elevation. Regardless of temperature it's almost always wet here. I have mud at low elevations; sleet, wet snow, or wet ice at medium elevations; and drier colder snow and ice at higher elevations. So I need a tire that can handle winter on and off road, and also handle mud, all in one tire, and be good on highway too - because I can encounter each of those conditions each day, and most roads are steep to very steep and curvy (often with a cliff on one side of road). Lateral traction is my first priority. Forward traction my next priority.

If I were to pick one tire to run year-round both on and off road, I would get a set of Toyo Open Country MT's and sipe them. I've run mine on my DD in the summer and fall months, and Spinalguy is right with regard to offroad with them - they just plain work. They offer good traction in every type of terrain I've tried them on, and substantially better lateral stability than my "winter" Goodyear Duratracs.

Lateral stability is something I need. IME narrower tires have more lateral traction on snow.

If you want to look at a less off-road oriented tire and something that's close to an AT, the Duratracs might be a good choice. They will offer about 80% of the performance of a first rate MT offroad, and do VERY well with ice and snow on the road. I've got mine studded, and they perform VERY well on snowy and icy roads. Not as well as a true dedicated "winter" tire like the tires on my girlfriend's Audi, but I have yet to find someone that offers a 35 inch dedicated winter tire.

I'm very satisfied with my BFG AT 33 X 10.5 R15 on snow, ice, sand, and on highway. However, they are so pitiful on mud that I can't tolerate it. Since it's very wet here, we have lots of mud when it's warm, and snow/ice when it's cold. Since my BFG AT don't work on mud, I need to look elsewhere.

Spinalguy may have a point with the Nittos - I believe that they are also made by Toyo. I'd be interested to try them after I wear out my Toyos. Maybe.  ;)

It's good to hear that you like the Toyo MT. I might get those in 33 X 10.9 R15 and add more sipes to center treads. Though I still want to see if I can get a Trxus MT in that size.

I like the Duratrac, but there is no 35R15 size.

I'd really like to run a narrowish to medium width 34 or 35. Like 10.8 to 11.2 ideally, or something near that. The Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 R15 is about that since it (allegedly) runs tall and 10.9 wide.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:44:59 PM by CB3 »

Offline CB3

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
Goodyear Duratracs are very good in snow and ice. I tested them out ice fishing with my father in law 2 weekends ago. 265/75/16 size on an F150. We were able to go quite far into the bush in 2wd. Breaking trail most of the way, even turned around in the snow a couple times in 2wd.

I have 285/75/16 Toyo MT's and love them. Pricey but a great tire offroad, and the onroad noise is not much.

The Duratrac would be my first choice if they made a 35" tall R15. I wonder if Goodyear could be lobbied to make a 35R15. Possibly, if there are enough requests. I have a campaign going over at JeepForum.com to get Goodyear to start making a 35 R15.

Toyo MT 33 X 10.5 R15 (really 10.9 wide, according to Toyo's website specs) would be about ideal, since it allegedly runs tall for a 33. That's the closest tire (currently made) to what I want.

The Nitto Trail Grappler treads appeal to me, but I don't think they make a R15 size I want. Do they make any R15 sizes in that tire?

I'd still

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »
Haven't you heard? 17 is the new 15!  ;)

I didn't mean to come off as complaining when I made the comment about you stirring the pot. The questions that you've asked have been intelligent and genuine...so I don't think that anyone (other than our resident grumpy gus) objects.

By the way- when I referred to the lateral stability of the Duratracs, it was specifically regarding off-camber situations where mud was involved. On icy/snowy roads, they offer very good lateral stability.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53:27 AM »
i believe that for the most part, Alberta is closer matched to Alaska winters and driving conditions.
If you were to visit www.jeepkings.ca you would find the opinions of winter driving are more closely matched to Washington State.
In Ontario (jeepkings), many of them love the BFG MT's. i am sure the Truxs wouls also work better on 'wet snow' roads versus our very cold hardpack snowy roads.
The Nitto does have a 35x12.50 but on 17's. 8)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline CB3

• Stocker
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
i believe that for the most part, Alberta is closer matched to Alaska winters and driving conditions.
If you were to visit www.jeepkings.ca you would find the opinions of winter driving are more closely matched to Washington State.
In Ontario (jeepkings), many of them love the BFG MT's. i am sure the Truxs wouls also work better on 'wet snow' roads versus our very cold hardpack snowy roads.
The Nitto does have a 35x12.50 but on 17's. 8)

That makes sense. I have joined a British Columbia forum and their experiences do seem to be closely matched to my own, which makes sense because they are geographically close to me.

In my area, the most popular tires (from what I see and hear) are BFG AT for guys who don't go near mud, BFG KM2 with sipes added, Toyo MT (often with more sipes added), Trxus MT, and Duratrac. Maybe Maxxis Bighorns too.

There is also some here who like Cooper ST and Mastercraft CT, but I don't like the hard rubber of those two because it doesn't grip well on snow and ice, especially not wet snow and ice.

Another thing often popular here are narrower tires for snow and ice, especially for warmer, wet snow and ice, because the narrow tires sink more and grab some pavement. I personally prefer medium width tires because they float a bit on mud and sand, and sink enough on wet snow and ice. IMO.

So ya, it's all relative to the conditions, which is relative to where we live.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:05:33 PM by CB3 »

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »
*sigh*
buying tires are like buying shoes,
Dress, hikers, or steel toed work boots.
One set won't fit all your needs well
Lucky to find a happy medium, I don't wheel as much as I'd like to but I still have MT tires, cause it's a jeep, and anything else looks like ballet slippers on a barbarian. No, they aren't that great on ice/hardpacj, not whisper quiet on the highway, but heck, it's a jeep...and they really huck mud. Refuse to run TSL Thornbird mud/swamp tires cause not req. Unless you love mud.
Not for me.
All-season tires are a happy medium, of course an ice tire will kick it's butt on the ice. Duh.
NASCAR only(mostly) turns left, F1 both ways and stops, Drag racers only GO.  Very different tires for very different conditions.
There will be no magic do it all tire, but let me know if one comes out...but some knob will complain that, ya, sure, so good you could drive it on the ceiling.....but they only lasted 1,250,000 miles...
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself