Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: junk empty every pocket - jeep  (Read 2991 times)

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
junk empty every pocket - jeep
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
i get a rad replaced yesterday and then today my tranny is empty.  ..oil everywhere...   if its not one thing its another.  how many people here have broken jeeps that are sitting there cause its beaten you mentally.  i know a few of you have jeeps that are sitting cause it needs maintenance on everything.
  its part of the sport i know.  mods are cool but just day to day maintenance is what people should really be focused on.  that or a  new car.

end of rant

Offline halfcRoOk

• Baby Wheeler
Re: junk empty every pocket - jeep
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
haha! I'm broke this week-end because of my jeep! but hey like everyone says! it's a jeep thing! but it's gives me something to do this week-end!
1991 Cherokee 4x4
1988 Cherokee 4x4
1978 Austin Mini 1000
Also looking for a Comanche!

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
how many people here have broken jeeps that are sitting there cause its beaten you mentally.  i know a few of you have jeeps that are sitting cause it needs maintenance on everything.
  its part of the sport i know.  mods are cool but just day to day maintenance is what people should really be focused on.  that or a  new car.

end of rant

Yeah mine is sitting right now needing a few things,  steering tweaks, leaky gas tank.....

Out of curiosity, when you had the rad replaced did the tranny fittings on the rad not get hooked back up right leading to the fluid being lost?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »

HA!

Don't let the Jeep-blues get you down Dave! 95% of the Jeepers that I know have some sort of automotive-malady going on with their ride. I'm fortunate that my rig is still drivable/wheelable and it's a blessing for me to get home in running condition. I even pat my rig on the dash and thank it when I'm safely home in my driveway.

It's not a coincidence that serious wheelers have a second vehicle .

I'm fond of that saying- " Jeep...it's not fixed until you're broke"
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
I now have an '94 XJ which has been a daily driver (only off-roaded 3 times) and it has had alot of maintenance and repairs over the last several years.  The rad also started leaking at Christmas and then the brake master cylinder started leaking a month later.  I need this XJ to be my new daily driver so I can haul the canoe and the sailboat.    My '95 YJ has had lots of repairs over the years and now needs a U-joint and a unit bearing.  I used to wheel it a fair bit, lately I haven't wheeled much because the cost of repairs due to wheeling and it's age have begun to add up to the point where I question whether I should quit wheeling and just use it as a city ride or sell it.  Would I buy another Jeep?  A new rubicon would be nice, would it be durable and low cost to own over the long run?
near stock advocate

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
All vehicles end up being money pits sooner or later.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
On that note I have an insanely loud whistle while driving over 20ish when its -20 out when I let my foot off the gas.... One time it lasted just long enough for me to pop my hood (usually goes away under 20kms/hr). I believe it to be my intake gasket. Also when its cold I have to floor my gas pedal to start it.

So I think ill take a day to replace my intake gasket. Anyone figure that's the problem?

Just empty every pocket.

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »
I thought I found a way around this by having 4 vehicles.  Drive whatever runs the best and fix the others on your spare time.  Now they are all broken!
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
Could it be a belt/pully noise? If it only happens when it's stupid cold out that would be my first guess.

I am assuming this is the TJ?
If you can't track in down in the belt system try retorquing the manifold bolts they all go to 24ft/lbs except the two on the very ends. They get 23...and yeah you tell me why there's a difference of 1ft/lb.

If it's still doing it then look at vacuum lines and throttle body.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »
Thanks jason, not a pulley for sure. Will re torque and report back. Least that's cheap.

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 01:43:51 AM »
On that note I have an insanely loud whistle while driving over 20ish when its -20 out when I let my foot off the gas.... One time it lasted just long enough for me to pop my hood (usually goes away under 20kms/hr). I believe it to be my intake gasket. Also when its cold I have to floor my gas pedal to start it.

So I think ill take a day to replace my intake gasket. Anyone figure that's the problem?

Just empty every pocket.

Mine whistled like crazy last year at Xmas driving back to Calgary for Medicine Hat anyting over 100kms/hr.  Didn't sound good at all but never found out what it was.  It never surfaced again so I tanked up as way too cold.  It was -35.  Vehicles do strange sh1t at that temp..

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
so my junk does work today,  a big thanks to lemon aid jay for coming to my rescue!!!