Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Recommendations - might need to buy a "new" jeep  (Read 8055 times)

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
Re: Recommendations - might need to buy a "new" jeep
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »
Sorry man ! That was me with the big mouth. I saw Adrians yellow JK the next day at a Future Shop parking lot and it doesn't look that bad actually. My vote is for something older and not so pretty for wheeling. Good luck with your search.

Hah, no worries...gives me a reason to buy another jeep!  :)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »
my YJ is your TJs daddy Kev,
remember that ;)

And it's showing it's age too  :P
04 TJ Rubi

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
My buddy, Silverfox, asked me the same question last fall.  I gave him a list of the upgrades to expect to do with a non-Rubi.
He got a rubi.

Well worth the up front cost if you are going to wheel.

Rubicon........has what you need (a little more really)

Used under 12k is damn near impossible.  I had been looking since September and closest I saw IIRC was an 04 for $14K

The nice thing about going Rubicon is it is Wheeling Ready right out of the blocks.  I want to do a few (think many) mods to it.  As far as need I really only need 2 more out of the 3.  I have a CB and I need to put a Winch and Bumper on it.  After that it is purely on my wants list. 

I wheeled my 07 Rubi for 2 years with only a Bumper and Winch and never had any problems, 2 years only amounted to 6 or 7 times but I never once felt the "need" for a "better" rig.  What I want is a different story.

As for the video, I can send you a different one that is my dashcam view of us leisurely cruising down the trail........more like a nice walk in the woods than a complex offroad.   My co-pilot (my son Alex) couldn't hold the camera still enough in any of the other parts for the video to be remotely viewable  ::)
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
I wheel with a Sahara, and I'm really happy with it. However, on a few occasions I have found myself wanting lockers, and pushbutton swaybar discos, and a lower gear ratio. . . I also have found myself wanting a long arm lift, 37s, hemi conversion kit, etc etc :). I think no matter what I have, I will always have a long "want" list. In all seriousness, if you are thinking of wheeling it and can afford it, go for a Rubi.
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »
your ganna want to buy a TJ for sure

if your lucky you can find a TJ sport with a dana 44 in the rear already .  and like everyone has said if you can go rubi then go rubi

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
Hard to beat a Cherokee for a low buck build.....  :P

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
Hard to beat a Cherokee for a low buck build.....  :P

THIS !

Uber-cheap, supported heavily by the aftermarket, lots of room for the kids and groceries...can sleep in it if you want or HAVE to...
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
THIS !

Uber-cheap, supported heavily by the aftermarket, lots of room for the kids and groceries...can sleep in it if you want or HAVE to...

The first time it flops... or you hit an immovable object... you are very likely to end up getting rid of it.

With a wrangler... you get flat fenders. 
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
The first time it flops... or you hit an immovable object... you are very likely to end up getting rid of it.

That's the plan ! People buy unibody XJ's and wheel them, wreck them, they end up at PNP for us XJ pimps to scavenge for useable parts...the cycle of life continues...

XJ's, ZJ's are like Bic lighters my friend. Use em and toss em.
Lockers

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 11:33:36 PM »
like mine will be, I think, so there will likely be a few parts to sell off and put towards a new ride for myself.

just have to see what they try to tell me.

97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Jeep-TJ-rubicon-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ250104900

there you go. trail ready!

Ya looks nice.  That belong to anyone on this board?  I also found one in Red Deer, its a stock '06 with 100k on it for $14000.

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »
That was Brian's (Lugnut) old jeep before he sold it to someone on here not too long ago.  Very capable jeep, well taken care of, and lightly used on the trail.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
That was Brian's (Lugnut) old jeep before he sold it to someone on here not too long ago.  Very capable jeep, well taken care of, and lightly used on the trail.

Ayup! Brian's Rubi was clean and he pretty much gave it away with the price he was asking. A young fella on here " Lizard230" bought it and did some maintenance on it. He had it in our for sale section but he pulled the ad. He's unsure if he wants to sell it or keep it.
Lockers