Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: still no flashers  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
still no flashers
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
ok so i posted awhile back that i changed my front flashers out for LED's and they worked but now they dont

so some of you said the multifunction switch and others said LED's dont draw enough power to flash    so i changed the relay and i also changed the multifucction switch and i still have no flashers

so this is what happens

i have corner markers when my lights are on so thats good i have power to the lights and the multifunction switch is working fine like that
i dont have flashers   they dont flash and i also dont have flasher indicators on the dash  (green arrows)  and
i also dont have 4ways on the dash nor do the lights flash on the out side of the truck

i checked all fuses and relays .. is there something im missing
is there another relay somewhere i dont see or know of that may send power to the dash lights   

some one please help
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
Re: still no flashers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Just for the heck of it...did you try putting a standard bulb back in the proper places? I know it can be a pain depending where they're mounted...but maybe your LED's are toast.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
its not the lights because they light up when i turn on my lights just like the factory corner lights do .

but they will not flash and neither will the dash lights

a friend of mine said that come cars and trucks when the dash light burns out it will not let the flasher flash .. does anyone know if thats true for the TJ

thanks
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
The flasher module needs to have a certain amount of resistance on the line (a bulb is really just a big resistor which is why it glows, it's producing heat) in order to trigger. When you introduce LED lights they tend not to have enough resistance to trigger the module.

Did you replace the module with a new one, or an actual LED module?

If you didn't use a specific LED module pick which is easier for you to trouble shoot to see if this is the issue:

-Unplug the LED and plug the stock bulb back in, if it flashes then that's the issue.
-Add something else in line to draw power, a foglight or something that you can ghetto wire in quickly. Same deal if it all of a sudden works that's the problem.

LED module:
http://cp31.heritagewebdesign.com/~goldcst1/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15&zenid=0aceed8b8954e68eedbe96a8dc14daa6

Alternatively you can modify the stock one:
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/led.html

If you still need help I'm not working this week and could come over and troubleshoot with you.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »
its not the LED thats causing the problem it was working it would flash just flashed fast like it had a burnt balb ..

but then it all stoped flashing and now the biggest issue is i have no flasher lights on the dash and thats where i think my problem is

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
So you didn't replace the flasher with one designed for LED's? The stock ones are designed for regular bulbs. The current used by regular bulbs is what triggers the flasher unit. With LED's, the current is not drawn near as much as regular bulbs. When the flasher is flashing so rapidly, it will burn out faster.

My bet is that the flasher unit is fubar'd. Replace it and all should be good. Replace it with an electronic flasher or one designed for LED's. If you can't get one, then put a resistor on each side of the vehicle. They can be found around the internet for fairly cheap. This will make the lights flash properly using the stock style flasher.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »
when you say flasher unit   do you mean the flasher relay in the steering colum   if so yes it has been changed

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
There should be some sort of flasher module in the Jeep. I haven't had to replace mine yet, so I haven't looked, but I had to replace one in my Explorer, and in my B2600 Mazda. Both were located in the fuse panel inside the vehicles. It sounds like that is burnt out (probably because you don't have enough resistance due to the LEDs).
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
when you say flasher unit   do you mean the flasher relay in the steering colum   if so yes it has been changed

changed with a new one or replaced with one that will work?  one specific for LED lights?
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
changed for one that will work with LED's     

my flashers not flashing is one problem   but my main concern is why are my dash lights (green arrows in dash) not working they SHOULD still light up even if i had no balbs in .