Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Safeway Gas  (Read 8428 times)

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
Re: Safeway Gas
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
Since I lifted the TJ and put on 33's I don't even bother with gas mileage.  It's pathetic.  Like less than 300km to a tank.  Good thing I only drive it on the weekends.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »
Like less than 300km to a tank.

:o

How big is the tank?

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Not sure how big the tank is.  I think it's 72L but I could be wrong. Its a 2002 TJ Sport 4.0L w Auto with 3.73 gearing.  I've lost alot of gas mileage with the 33's.  Maybe regearing to 4.10 or 4.56 would gain me back what I lost.  It really wouldn't take that long to pay for the regear if it brang back the mileage i'm losing

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to take flak for saying this, but now I'm a bit lost.  Since as someone pointed out air+fuel at a given F/A ratio or A/F ratio if you want means that for a given amount of air, whether dense or thin requires a proportionate amount of fuel, then how does making an engine turn over faster at a given road speed (aka higher numerical gears), which pushes more air+fuel mixture through the system improve mileage?  If that were true, our best mileage would be in first gear if taken to the logical conclusion!

The only way I can see that happening is if you are so deep into the throttle with the lower numerical gears that you are at a higher F/A mixture, therefore using more fuel for the smaller amount of air+fuel mixture being pushed through the engine.

Now if you want more "Oomph", aka acceleration aka hill-climbing ability aka power etc. in a given gear, then it makes sense to use the higher numerical gears.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »
Well I step on the gas pedal more with the loss of power from the 33's.  If I had it geared correctly I wouldn't step on the gas near as much.  Makes sense to me.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:09:18 PM by Alltornup »

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 12:30:17 AM »
Not sure how big the tank is.  I think it's 72L but I could be wrong. Its a 2002 TJ Sport 4.0L w Auto with 3.73 gearing.  I've lost alot of gas mileage with the 33's.  Maybe regearing to 4.10 or 4.56 would gain me back what I lost.  It really wouldn't take that long to pay for the regear if it brang back the mileage i'm losing

you might get a lot back if you fix your speedo gear.  quite important for an automatic.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »
our best fuel economy is in first gear.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
Perhaps best efficiency, best power due to torque multiplication from the gearing, sure, but economy? Not according to the ScangaugeII on my dash, which is setup to use the vehicle's own readings to display instantaneous fuel economy.... even idling down deerfoot in first gear is HORRIBLE economy compared to idling down deerfoot in 4'th or 5'th.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
our best fuel economy is in first gear.

Not true. My best fuel economy invariably occurs when I select "Mexican Overdrive".
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 09:54:38 PM »
Not true. My best fuel economy invariably occurs when I select "Mexican Overdrive".
That would be downhill, in neutral?
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
 ;)

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »
you might get a lot back if you fix your speedo gear.  quite important for an automatic.

Why is that? 

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 07:25:25 PM »

Shows what you know not true again, my best fuel economy is in reverse
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 07:43:04 PM »
I thought coasting down a hill in gear uses zero gas if you have a modernish engine

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »
Your best bet is to kick it into neutral, bacon grease those tires for less friction, and then shut the jeep off to go down the hill. Then your using no gas! Dont forget though at the bottom to spray the belt dressing back onto the tires, to counteract the effects of the bacon grease so you again get traction to go back up said hill, but then also dont expect your mileage to be any better going up. Unless your in a lifted Mango Rubi, and reversing apparently!
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD