Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: RESPECT!!!  (Read 21121 times)

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
Re: RESPECT!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »
JohnnyC - props to you for the funny fun side all the time. You are a good man...unlike Trevor (frackin' station wagons) ;D

hey easy on the station wagons  >:( you know you guys and your frackin wrangler frames love em, deep inside everyone wants a red xj. its inevitable. dont deny it, try it. Trev its time to build that red xj of yours eh?

Offline will

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 03:18:56 AM »
I know I am not a CJA member so my opinion doesn't matter,  but I have belonged to a few other clubs and they seemed like more a comunity than a club.  It would be nice to see some more of that on here.  I have been on a few open runs and everyone was friendly and helpfull,  but it seems  on here sometimes there is a different attitude.  If a new guy post something stupid that you don't want to waste your time on it is kind of counterproductive to spend more engery flameing him for it than to just not post anything.  Also  Someone else might be willing to help or answer a question and it gets lost in the mess of things I am not trying  to squirt anyone off .  Just owning a jeep to me was always like belonging to a family .  You wave at other wranglers and maybe a cherokee if its  cool enough lol,  If you seem another jeep on the side of the road you stop and help.  These are the things we should base this on.  We sell each other parts for cheep because the next guy or new guy needs them and we don't.  Someone will probably flame me for posting this, probably for poor grammar or spelling mistakes,  but if this site was more like that I would probably try and join.

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 05:34:16 AM »
I enjoy this community and have found the members extremely helpful and informative. Waytec stands out as having really assisted and I mean in person more than once. He's a wealth of knowledge and has been a tremendous help guiding me into a new hobby after 31 years of motorcycling. The guys and gals on runs are outstanding people. At no time on the trails or at the meetings in Calgary have I been uncomfortable. Two thumbs up to the CJA and it's members.
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 08:04:59 AM »
If a new guy post something stupid

But why post it if it's stupid?  And if no one tells them they are posting something stupid then they will just keep doing it.

I really don't understand where a lot of this is coming from.  Yes there have been some "harsh" responses but those are almost always towards some a$$hat request or a question that was asked 3 posts earlier. 

I don't think the majority of these guys have ANY issue helping out, but you have to be willing to help yourself as well.  Also a lot of these guys that are getting flamed need to clue in to stop asking for free stuff.  I don't ask my lifelong friends or family for anything free...why would I ask someone that I have met a couple of times or talked to on forums for it?  If it's offered, then fine.  I am all over free/cheap when I can get it...just don't ask for/expect it.

BTW...I wan't new tires, anyone have some 33"-35" Nitto Trail Grapplers I can have for free?  ::)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »
hey easy on the station wagons  >:( you know you guys and your frackin wrangler frames love em, deep inside everyone wants a red xj. its inevitable. dont deny it, try it. Trev its time to build that red xj of yours eh?

frames = cool.... unless its a red XJ right?

can't take life to seriously all the time; otherwise none of us will get out alive;  the interwebs can give mixed perceptions at times, but as most know, (and for those that don't, you can now learn :) ) that just about every person on this board will talk at length to about just about anything jeep related for hours on end, at things like meetings, trail rides/projects etc.  

its tough to make accurate judgements on 'internet' personalities. .............. but once you've met a bunch of those people, you can put a face to a name, and not just a few posts....

unless they own a red XJ; they aren't as cool as us square headlight guys right Joe? Trevor, get a frame  ;D ;D ;D
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 09:22:49 AM »
I know I am not a CJA member so my opinion doesn't matter,  but I have belonged to a few other clubs and they seemed like more a comunity than a club.  It would be nice to see some more of that on here.  I have been on a few open runs and everyone was friendly and helpfull,  but it seems  on here sometimes there is a different attitude.  If a new guy post something stupid that you don't want to waste your time on it is kind of counterproductive to spend more engery flameing him for it than to just not post anything.  Also  Someone else might be willing to help or answer a question and it gets lost in the mess of things I am not trying  to squirt anyone off .  Just owning a jeep to me was always like belonging to a family .  You wave at other wranglers and maybe a cherokee if its  cool enough lol,  If you seem another jeep on the side of the road you stop and help.  These are the things we should base this on.  We sell each other parts for cheep because the next guy or new guy needs them and we don't.  Someone will probably flame me for posting this, probably for poor grammar or spelling mistakes,  but if this site was more like that I would probably try and join.

WORD!
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline murray195

• Budget Lift
  • No such thing as secrets... just useful info
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »
Well, pretty well every angle seems to have been covered on the discussion. However, in my opinion the following link contains what could be a solution for EVERYBODY.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1998336
Yes, I have a Honda addiction  :o, or so the wifey says. For every generation and model there is a FAQ section that contains a vast knowledge base of user-contributed links to reference materials, problem solving threads, common questions, and more technical questions. People who are "new to the game", whether it be Jeeps, Hondas, or custom frackin couch cushions are in general ignorant, not stupid. They just don't know and are eager to learn. I've spoken with people on this forum who have posted "stupid" questions that may seem to be common sense to a lot of us. They've told me in so many words; there's so much conflicting information out there that they'd like an answer from a local with experience. We can turn and say "what are you doing that for, what a waste of time", "you get what you pay for"(ie. something for nothing), etc. And so another opinion based flame-session begins, or another question that was covered 3 years ago comes up again  :o! And we're all left with a bad taste in our mouths over it. I'm sorry for rambling, but threads like this are not unique to CJA as I'm sure most of you know. I've seen complaints about Noobs on forums so much that it's as irritating as the "stupid questions".
 I think if a FAQ section was started for xj, zj, cj, yj, tj, jk, etc. and we pulled together and posted links to relevant threads and reference materials, we'd be in good shape. All of you Jeep geniuses out there could focus your experience, knowledge, and passion on more technical threads than "what transmission bolts up to my 4.0 in my stock xj? and "My heater doesn't work!"  :P" The search function is their friend, but it wouldn't hurt if our community was too. Lets build a model specific FAQ section.

Lol....
I am not trying  to squirt anyone off

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:32:10 AM by murray195 »

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »
I know 4wheeler went down the drain but Redrum had the right idea when he had a section on his site for newbs. Ask any question, no matter how "newb" it may be and have no fear of being flamed. Then when a question is asked you guys that think they are the ultimate wheeler don't even have to lower yourselves go to that section. I've been wheeling nearly 30 years( 5 of those with a  brian) and still consider myself a "newb". Why? Because I will never know everything there is to know about wheeling.  Why it that the wheeling community has become so selfish? I'm amazed there are any new wheeleres when they see these boards and how (some) people conduct them selfes. I try and help out anyone I can with info. I don't mind looking it up. Knowlage is a pretty light load to carry.Ya the same questions may get asked a 100 times but you have this thing called a choice. If you think the post is stupid you have the choice to go on to the next post or thread. If we all keep hating the "newb" where do you think wheeing will be in the not so far future?. Alot of wheelers out there need to take a step back and realize that we need to work together in alot of areas(like this) to keep this hobby/sport alive.  Just my opinion.

Jeepless aka TANK

I know I am not a CJA member so my opinion doesn't matter,  but I have belonged to a few other clubs and they seemed like more a comunity than a club.  It would be nice to see some more of that on here.  I have been on a few open runs and everyone was friendly and helpfull,  but it seems  on here sometimes there is a different attitude.  If a new guy post something stupid that you don't want to waste your time on it is kind of counterproductive to spend more engery flameing him for it than to just not post anything.  Also  Someone else might be willing to help or answer a question and it gets lost in the mess of things I am not trying  to squirt anyone off .  Just owning a jeep to me was always like belonging to a family .  You wave at other wranglers and maybe a cherokee if its  cool enough lol,  If you seem another jeep on the side of the road you stop and help.  These are the things we should base this on.  We sell each other parts for cheep because the next guy or new guy needs them and we don't.  Someone will probably flame me for posting this, probably for poor grammar or spelling mistakes,  but if this site was more like that I would probably try and join.

Both of you have completely missed the point, which has been reiterated several times in this thread.

If you had paid attention to the majority of the posts in this thread, you would have noticed that the general concession is not flame newbs for being new. We help new people in here every day.

If you think we are to hard on newbies and this isnt "the community" for you, then maybe you should move to a kinder gentler board filled with sweet jeep love, where everyone gets along all the time and no one ever questions anyone on anything.

As for you tank, all I've seen you do in ten years of board existance is gossip with the rest of the 4 wheeler crowd. Taking holier then thou pot shots at the tech types around here doesnt really mean much coming from you........................

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Jeepless

• Budget Lift
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 11:54:41 AM »
I think you missed my point Bnine. If you think I was taking "shots" at the "tech type" guys on here your wrong. I was not. Nor have I ever. Sorry if you saw it that way.  My "ultimate wheeler" comment was harsh(once I re-read it) and I also apoligize if I offended anyone besides Bnine.

As for your last and personal comment Bnine. All I can say is you have your opinion but I know I've helped others over the years. Most of those were newbs so you may not have read ALL my posts.

I don't wheel a big rig. I'm happy with a near stock Jeep. To me its more of a challenge.

TANK

Offline Mud

• Budget Lift
  • Chad
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 07:48:17 PM »
What I liked most about your link spinal guy is that it brought me to google with a banner for "Busty Russians"! That's awesome and much more stimulating than this thread!  Thanks!
JKU-R, RK 5.5 Lift, 36" IROK, WARN 8274,  CB, Genright tire carrier, Poison Spyder Armor, Warn Bumper, Viair
RIP 2001 Orange TJ

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
I like being harsh on the internet.  It helps me treat people better face to face.  If I don't take it out on people here it would be face to face and I'm trying to be a better person.

Although I'm pretty sure I may have been one of the people that asks stupid crap from time to time.  And I blame it on the fact that there's so much crap to read on Jeeps that by the end of the day I'm not sure if I've absorbed any more useful information and sometimes have to ask something simple to refresh myself.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:43 PM »
I like busty Russians  8)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
What I liked most about your link spinal guy is that it brought me to google with a banner for "Busty Russians"! That's awesome and much more stimulating than this thread!  Thanks!
Ha,ha,ha...i must of missed that result.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
I like being harsh on the internet.  It helps me treat people better face to face.  If I don't take it out on people here it would be face to face and I'm trying to be a better person.

Although I'm pretty sure I may have been one of the people that asks stupid crap from time to time.  And I blame it on the fact that there's so much crap to read on Jeeps that by the end of the day I'm not sure if I've absorbed any more useful information and sometimes have to ask something simple to refresh myself.
i sometimes wish i could be anonymous or Unknown. lol.
Seriously though, when i learned that you could FIRST google any topic followed by the forum you were interested in finding the info from, it made my life so much easier especially when it comes to looking for tips regarding my KTM 950SER on ADVrider.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »
Trev its time to build that red xj of yours eh?

I hate you. ;D
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!