Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: largest tire size on patriot?  (Read 4685 times)

banffools

largest tire size on patriot?
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
hey guys,

just wondering what would be the largest tire size i could put on a '08 stock patriot. looking for the biggest tread for winter, and wondering how much the rro lift kit will change what size ires i can put on it?

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: largest tire size on patriot?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »
biggest tread?  people normally lift jeeps for tire height/clearance.  a wider tread can happen without changing height.

don't think wider treads help much in winter though.  typically can hinder non-performance applications.  but that's another story
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:54:49 PM »
Not many Patriot owners here, so I don't know how much we will be able to help you.

First question is...what do you want to do with your Patriot? Are you looking to take it offroad, or looking for better "deep snow" performance in town/on road?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:39:14 PM »
These look like that is about as big as you would want to go with the RRO lift.

"17" wheels with 245/65R17"    a little ways down the page.

http://www.rocky-road.com/patriotsus.html
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline darseygodwin

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
I have a 2009 patriot with the RRO lift.  245/65R17 can fit for MANY tires, not all.  I came here from the jeeppatriot .com site, where they've actually put together a thread dedicated to what specific tires will fit and what don't.  Yes, there are that few options out there.  Results are different depending what specific tire you use, but there have been a couple of failures: Everyone at that size has tire rub when at full lock turning.  I've seen one guy (without the lift) cause his rear shock to fail (debatable as to why... read the thread).  And there has also been two people who had to slam on the brakes, the front end dipped and their wheels LOCKED UP in the wheel wells.  =bad news bears!!!

The rear wheels are fine, it's the front that matters.  In the front, you have a few places of contact.  With the RRO lift and FULL STOCK tires, most of us still had rubbing on the front inside at full lock turning, A larger diameter will make this worse guaranteed.  The front shock has a baseplate that will limit your diameter, measure the clearance you have and keep that in mind. Next, the pinch seam behind the front tire will inhibit your space.  I have seen many people hammer this flat and heat gun the plastic in order to make tires fit.  Their frames haven't failed yet, do this at your own risk. 

Good Luck!

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
It sounds like a set of wheel spacers to push the wheels out from the wheel well would be a good solution. This would prevent the wheels from rubbing on the control arms or springs at full stuff on the steering wheel.

I had to do this myself when I installed some bigger A/T winter tires on my cherokee. The reason was, the tires I found for dirt cheap were for a 16" rim, and as the stock rims are 15", I had to find a new set of rims too. I found some on kijiji for cheap, they were from a Jeep Liberty. The problem was, the Liberty 16" rims had a hugely different backspacing than the stock 15" rims, so the wheels were super 'sucked-in' to the jeep's body. The front tires would rub on my control arms at half stuff! And the rears sat only half a centimetre from the leaf springs! I had to be drastic and ordered 2" spacers all around, problem solved.

The other option for you would be to purchase new rims for your tires, with a smaller backspacing, which has the same effect.
Wheel spacers would no doubt be the cheaper option though. Hope this helps.
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....