Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Radiator Question... searched, to no avail  (Read 5692 times)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Re: Radiator Question... searched, to no avail
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:35 AM »
I got mine from Extreme Radiator, http://extremeradiator.com/jeep/.  Great rad and probably cost me a little over $300.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
2.5l tj rad and a 4.0l tj rad are the same  ;)

I could be wrong but when I swapped a 4.0 into my 2.5 TJ I ended up needeing a new rad...I think the 4.0 rad is thicker? or has 3 sets of tubes instead of 2?
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »
I could be wrong but when I swapped a 4.0 into my 2.5 TJ I ended up needeing a new rad...I think the 4.0 rad is thicker? or has 3 sets of tubes instead of 2?

I ran the same rad when with swap for a couple years with no problems
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Did you end up getting a radiator?

Mine has started to leak 

I need a new rad for my 98 TJ. Its a 4.0l auto w/ tranny cooler.

My question is, would a Rad out of a 2.5 l be the same? If not, are there any other jeeps that I could steal a rad from ? While I'm on the topic, an OEM rad is listed at $440, which seems excessive. Are there any good after market rads that would cost less and be worth my time to get ??

Thanks for your help guys,
Andrew
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 03:26:27 AM »
Call Bowness auto, I just did this, I paid 300 with all new coolant.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
Call Bowness auto, I just did this, I paid 300 with all new coolant.

Metal or plastic tanks?

Offline Herby

• Stocker
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
I'm going to recommend these guys.  http://btr-radiator.com/  They are out of Georgia and know their stuff.   Very strong builds.  Just ordered a 3 core metal Jeep replacement (GM conversion) rad for $209.  With shipping it would be a little more, but I have a buddy near the border.... ;) 
Black 89 YJ....building

Offline Rubicon Josh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
I bought an all aluminum radiator from Reliable Radiator on Ebay. The cost was $210 plus about $65 for shipping and $10 in GST. There wasn't any duty to worry about. I first ordered a 3 core rad but after installing it I noticed that it weaped from the top of the core. My local rad shop said that it was unrepairable due to the braizing process. Michael at Relaible Radiator was great to deal with and he had a new one shipped out right away after showing proof of shipping that I was sending the original back.

I ended up replacing it with a 2 core on the second time around however as I noticed that the clearance between the water pump shaft and my fan was only a couple of mm. When accelerating there was enough movement in the engine for it to flex on the motor mounts upwaqrd and into the fan causing the fan to rub on the radiator. The 2 core is about 1/2" thinner and does not have this issue. I am running an electric fan which I think takes up less room that the factory clutch fan. Just something to think about before you make any decisions.
First completed AEV Rubicon in Alberta and only the fourth in Canada!

Offline flopicok

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »
Well I finally got it all sorted out. I ended up going with an over the counter plastic rad (due to tine constraints) and after the swapping it out twice, got one that doesn't leak. Thank you to both lemonadejay and Dave at broken axle, you guys were both a pleasure to deal with.

As for your rad that's leaking, be prepared for something else to let go after you change the rad. I had a huge ordeal with my entire coolant system after I got it back to full pressure. Everything is new now and thankfully, no leaks. If you need a hand putting it in, let me know. Needless to say, I have a bit of experience with it now lol. That being said, even with the ordeal of the new rad leaking and having to replace it again, the Autovalue rads got really well.

Thanks to all for your help, and I hope I may have answered a few questions.

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
After searching around - I ended up getting one from a dealer.  04-06 with an Auto has different fittings as I mentioned above.  None of the over the counter places even list another part for 04-06 Auto.

I considered AL.  But found quite a bit of research on the factory being the best. (in an auto application anyway)
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »
Kinda makes sense (flopi) - as soon as I replaced my rad, my heater core went - I suspect the pressure relief offered by the 1st leaking rad mitigated the leak in heater core, as soon one was fixed the other was doomed to go too.
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler