Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Time to Re-Gear  (Read 6038 times)

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: Time to Re-Gear
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
Also have seen many ARBs fail due to broken lines

ARB makes a repair kit that has a coupler and a few feet of line if you manage to damage it. Took me five minutes to repair mine with this kit, or you could go to Walmart's aquarium section and find a coupler that matches the ARB's plastic line diameter. Careful routing and use of zip-ties also helps.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:39:32 AM »
I will be going the elocker route on my d30...after seeing a chunk of ice the size of a golf ball disable an ARB... ::)
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:07 AM »
ARB makes a repair kit that has a coupler and a few feet of line if you manage to damage it. Took me five minutes to repair mine with this kit, or you could go to Walmart's aquarium section and find a coupler that matches the ARB's plastic line diameter. Careful routing and use of zip-ties also helps.

I don't have an ARB so I don't have to worry but next time one breaks on the trail I'll suggest that to the owner. ;)

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
I will be going the elocker route on my d30...after seeing a chunk of ice the size of a golf ball disable an ARB... ::)

It was the size of a pie plate actually... :P
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
So where are people picking up their gears sets these days.  There are a lot on ebay but all ship from the USA.  The prices vary and so does the product.  I have heard that YUKON is one of the best.  Another question...Is there a contact in Calgary for Northridge4x4? I think I remember meeting a guy at a show-n-shine a couple years back but no longer have his info...or is best just to go through the site?
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
For local shops, Modern Motors and National 4x4 . For Northridge, just call Stan.

Stan is the man.

Again,

Stan.... Is the man.

I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:33 AM »
If yer google finger happens to be broken

www.northridge4x4.ca

And yes. Stan is the man. :)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:10:10 AM »
I am not the first to say this nor will I be the last, but ordering any major parts from a local shop is going run you nearly number double what Northridge will charge you.

As far as gears are concerned it is my understanding that most of them are all made in the same factory and then branded out. So when it came time for me to choose gears I just went with the cheaper set that Northridge sells. There are no failures or complaints going with the AlloyUSA gears

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:57:06 PM by Jrama »

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
Anyone know if i could get away by just using the northridge install kit or do i need the overhaul. The big difference is the inclusion of carrier and pinion bearings? Keep in mind the e locker and the reuse of the dana 30 carrier

EDIT* well afteer looking into it, the only clear advantage I can tell is that I could use my old bearings for set up, other than that its not required. People seem to do the overhaul as a may as well type deal, and well it seems like a good idea
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:57:15 PM by Jrama »

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
If you're going to regear you might as well rebuild the whole thing with brand new shiny things. No sense in having to pull everything back out later cause you toasted that used bearing.

Offline Marco

• UberWheeler
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
What can a guy expect to pay for re-gearing? I didnt see anything in the thread. My 4:11 with 37" is retarded after reading this.
locked and loaded

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
What can a guy expect to pay for re-gearing? I didnt see anything in the thread. My 4:11 with 37" is retarded after reading this.

I believe the typical shop rate for just regearing would be 4-6 per axle and multiple that but your favourite shop's rates. 
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »
Re-gearing is about $2700 with gears at a shop.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
I got a qoute from Chanda I was impressed with, you should go ahead and get qoute

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I got a qoute from Chanda I was impressed with, you should go ahead and get qoute

Mine are already there  ;D