Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Need opinions on Jeep auto tran - FAST!  (Read 3534 times)

RUSTEDBUCKET

Need opinions on Jeep auto tran - FAST!
« on: July 13, 2006, 10:47:10 PM »
Looked at a 97 TJ tonight, nice rig. 4" skyjacker, 33"s, 4.0L H.O. BUT... it has an auto! What's the dillio yo? How are the automatics? It's just a three speed no overdrive. how reliable are they? How do they handle the big meaty rubbers? Are there any options to bolt in a different auto tranny? What kind of job is it to convert to a standard? HELP! The guy is going to hold it for me till tomorrow night(friday). What's a guy to do? Thanx everyone! Kasey.

I am keeping in mind that if this is not the right one, it's not the right one. Allthough I am dying to get a jeep already! It's starting to get to me.

Thanx again, Kasey.

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 11:34:12 PM »
Stay with the Auto...you'll be happy with it. They are fine.
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline Robb

• Baby Wheeler
    • Calgary Real Estate
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 07:55:04 AM »
Never ever get a Jeep with an automatic transmission, they will cause you nothing but greif.  Your wife will always have it filled with grocieries, crap from the scrapbooking store and piles of other junk you'll never use.

If at all possible make your Jeep as difficult to drive as possible.  Try swapping the clutch and gas peddle, that outta keep her on the right side for a while.

</personal rant>

PS.  The tranny will hold up.

RUSTEDBUCKET

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:02:18 AM »
Yeah, wifes. Well thanks for the input. It sounds like the automatic isn't such a no no after all. any other opinions would be great(always like to get the "on the other hand"). thanks guys. Kasey.

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:35:22 AM »
I personally like having a 5 spd, gives me more control, and there more fun to drive.

Offline ramtuff

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 10:05:52 AM »
97 is only a 3 speed auto. while it's relatively strong and cheap to repair, it's only a three speed and driving it for an extended period on the highway will suck. especially if it doesn't have a good gear ratio to match your tire size.
Killer Off Road Equipment

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 11:04:40 AM »
I will never buy another Jeep with a manual tranny.

In my opinion, the autos are way better offroad when rockcrawling.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

FeatherFoot

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »
In my opinion, the autos are way better offroad when rockcrawling.

Vince

How have you found engine breaking with the auto compares with the std?

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 12:40:12 PM »
Quote from: "FeatherFoot"

How have you found engine breaking with the auto compares with the std?

With the the 4 to 1 t-case, 4.10 gears and 35's, it "feels" about the same as my last manual tranny Jeep which had 4.02 1st gear, 2.72 t-case, 3.73 gears and 32's.

If you do the math using 2.5 for a 1st gear auto ratio, the crawl speed is 41 to 1 with the auto equippped Jeep (2.5 x 4.0 x 4.1) The manual equipped Jeep (4.02 x 2.72 x 3.73) equates to a 40.78 to 1 crawl ratio.

My current setup is 51.3 crawl ratio.

This doesn't take in consideration the auto's torque converter offers unlimited reduction.

The crawl ratio is far from the hard-core rigs which often get into the 100+ to 1 ratios but it works for me.

I haven't trail tested it since the 5.13's were installed but even with the 4.10's I seldom used the brakes on the hills.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

RUSTEDBUCKET

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 01:38:33 PM »
This is rad! love the help people. I've just talked the guy down $1500 and I think I'll pick it up tonight. Thanx dudes. Kasey.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »
Quote from: "RUSTEDBUCKET"
This is rad! love the help people. I've just talked the guy down $1500 and I think I'll pick it up tonight. Thanx dudes. Kasey.

If you get it, come down to the Jeep Show and Shine on Saturday. The info is on the front page pf the web site.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 10:11:29 PM »
Im thinking about the new 07 ruby for next year. Not sure if u can get auto in a Ruby.

I like auto better.  Can crawl around easy, no stalling, no clutch. Frees your hand for doing other things.

Using my truck for the last 2 years i havent had a time where " I wish i had a standard"  never.

Im building a YJ with 3 speed auto and 4.56 gears. Pretty torqy just in 2 wheel drive. I might have to upgrade my brakes to stop better...

cheers
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 10:59:23 PM »
Auto trannys are fine when you're trying to eat and drive.  I'm a stick guy;  way more control, allows you "toe and heel" if you do that, I like the mechanical feel and control of clutch engagement and gear changes, and you get more gears.  I choose which gear and when to shift.  If you're a "skills" driver, you will choose the manual gear box.
near stock advocate