Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Plz help!!! Jeep stuck in mud pit for 3 hours on and now white smoke coming out  (Read 7196 times)

Offline arabian sahara

• Baby Wheeler
    • youtube channel
Ok so me and my cuz went off roading. We come to the mud pit that I have been throu before no problems start going through and get stuck. The tail pipe was under water so I didn't turn off the jeep until I got towed out 3 hours later. The sound it made was like it was trying to gush out water from the engine and the tailpipe but I didn't see anything. Now the check engine light is on and it's telling me to Check gauges when ever I turn it on. O and there white smoke comining out when ever I gas it. Plz help me . What's wrong , what should I do. Am I completely screwed of is it a quick fix? :(
JK THE KING OF JEEP.

YOUTUBE: JK JEEPKING

[email protected]

Dracitamo

answer you don't want to hear - 
White smoke is caused by engine coolant/Antifreeze being processed in the combustion chamber(s) of the engine

You probably overheated when you were stuck in the mud and blew your head gasket.

Pop the hood and start checking.

Offline arabian sahara

• Baby Wheeler
    • youtube channel
White smoke is caused by engine coolant/Antifreeze being processed in the combustion chamber(s) of the engine

You probably overheated when you were stuck in the mud and blew your head gasket.

I'm new to this so I don't know what to be looking for. . . What should I look for under the hood, under the car, in the engine, what should I take apart?
JK THE KING OF JEEP.

[email protected]

Dracitamo

If you don't know, you should probably take it to a mechanic.

One thing you can do though... smell the exhaust. does it smell sweet? if it does... it's your head gasket for sure.

Offline arabian sahara

• Baby Wheeler
    • youtube channel
If you don't know, you should probably take it to a mechanic.

One thing you can do though... smell the exhaust. does it smell sweet? if it does... it's your head gasket for sure.

What do u think that's going to run me? Is it worh fixing
JK THE KING OF JEEP.

[email protected]

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
you may also be able to check the oil, if the dipstick comes out looking greyish and runny you may have either blown a gasket or cracked the block........

How deep was the water/mud, did any get in the intake? could be as little as having water in the system and simply need drain oils and replace.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline arabian sahara

• Baby Wheeler
    • youtube channel
you may also be able to check the oil, if the dipstick comes out looking greyish and runny you may have either blown a gasket or cracked the block........

How deep was the water/mud, did any get in the intake? could be as little as having water in the system and simply need drain oils and replace.

The  water covers 33" tires ... I don't think iit got to the intake. ... Should I try to change the oil and see?
JK THE KING OF JEEP.

[email protected]

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Honestly, just take it to a mechanic and see what they say.  All you are going to get is speculation from people on here of what it MIGHT be and how to MAYBE help the situation

Jeepin is an expense sport, especially repairs.  Let us know how it turns out
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
I would start with just checking the color of the oil on the dipstick, post a pic of it for others to see (use something white as a back drop)
Changing your oil wont hurt anything, but it won't fix a bad gasket or cracked block either.

If you do take it to a shop as blackyj recommends (not a bad idea if you are not sure what the problem is) make sure the oil in it is good before you do more damage driving with a crankcase full of coolant.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:41:02 PM by Evil-Jeep »
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die

x2.

check the engine oil. if it looks like chocolate milk you might have some issues.  another way to tell is your guages; is it overheating?  3 hrs in a mud hole with a rad clogged with mud could very well overheat it......
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
First thing I would do is change the oil,and check the color and consistency,and pull the air filter,looking for signs that water may have been injested. Check the head and block for signs of cracks/leaks. Sounds like the head is leaking coolant into the combustion chambers.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Dracitamo

I wouldn't bother changing the oil as a first step if the dipstick is showing it being milky. You have bigger problems if you have a blown head gasket, and will have to change the oil again anyway.

The  water covers 33" tires ... I don't think iit got to the intake
doubt your air filter got anything in it if it was just over the tires. Depends how hard you hit it though...

Have you checked anything? Or is all you know is there is white smoke?

The tail pipe was under water so I didn't turn off the jeep until I got towed out 3 hours later.
3 hrs in a mud hole with a rad clogged with mud could very well overheat it......
x2

From the sounds of things, you don't know a whole lot about the mechanics under the hood, so take it to a mechanic. Call around and see if they can give you a free quote. At least that way you will know what's wrong with it and have a rough idea how much it's gonna cost you. If the mechanics are like the ones out here, double the price they quote just to be safe.  ;) Or if you have the time, use it as a project to start learning. Youtube videos if you have to, buy a repair manual.

Overall, this should be a good lesson why you should never wheel alone. 3 hours stuck is way to long.

Offline arabian sahara

• Baby Wheeler
    • youtube channel
I don't know how to post up pics but I will check all of these, thank you ... If anyone elss has somthing ells for mento check let me know
JK THE KING OF JEEP.

[email protected]

Offline arabian sahara

• Baby Wheeler
    • youtube channel
I wouldn't bother changing the oil as a first step if the dipstick is showing it being milky. You have bigger problems if you have a blown head gasket, and will have to change the oil again anyway.
doubt your air filter got anything in it if it was just over the tires. Depends how hard you hit it though...

Have you checked anything? Or is all you know is there is white smoke?
x2

From the sounds of things, you don't know a whole lot about the mechanics under the hood, so take it to a mechanic. Call around and see if they can give you a free quote. At least that way you will know what's wrong with it and have a rough idea how much it's gonna cost you. If the mechanics are like the ones out here, double the price they quote just to be safe.  ;) Or if you have the time, use it as a project to start learning. Youtube videos if you have to, buy a repair manual.

Overall, this should be a good lesson why you should never wheel alone. 3 hours stuck is way to long.
No I have not checked anything as I'm at work and I took
My z4 . I will check when I get back home
JK THE KING OF JEEP.

[email protected]