Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Need timing help  (Read 1019 times)

aoc_pilsener

Need timing help
« on: April 06, 2006, 11:25:17 PM »
Oh right here it goes I Just recently bought a 1990 YJ jeep not running. “The guy who I bought it off said He went to start it in the middle of winter didn’t start, so he thought the valves were ceased” But what ever now I am trying to get it going  to make sure its good and messed up Be fore I get another motor. Looks like he has had the timing chain cover off the water pump and the cylinder head.

Its getting gas, it pops out the throttle body and back fires when I try to start it so I have suspicion the timing is messed up. First thing I make sure valve timing is all in time, it seems to be using a screw driver down the cylinder and watching the valve spring method. So then I notice that Number one on the distributor is off so I put the piston to tdc and put the distributor to where I think it should be, still popping and back firing out the throttle body. I leave the bolt out and try turning the distributor well stating it nothing so I must not even be close or there something else wrong with it . How do you time a 2.5L engine from the start?   Or what do you think it its?

Offline cdnhonda

• Baby Wheeler
Need timing help
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:35:39 PM »
because aren't they just like 4.0l you don't set the timing with the distributer they are computer controled with a trigger on the fly wheel
life without mud is no life at all

HIWYH8R

Need timing help
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:37:10 PM »
Michael, start with a commpression test, that will tell you the valves, piston rings, and cam timing are correct. If you have good compression 100 lbs plus then take the valve cover off and turn have someone turn the engine over while you watch each rocker arm. If they all move the same amount then the cam lobes are ok and the engine is probably ok.

With the timing, if your off even one tooth on the distributor it will cause the symtoms you mention. Try moving the dist one tooth ahead and back and see what happens.

Also sounds like it could be a crank sensor problem too as this is common on Jeeps.

Keep us informed.

Kel