Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New (hopefully) future member, new rig  (Read 9424 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: New (hopefully) future member, new rig
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »

get a stock rubi, wheel it, figure out what you like dont' like, decide if you like the sport etc.

going into such a huge build when you've been wheeling once will net you a lot of wasted time and money.

not everyone has a dead set goal like moab and one tonnes two years away.  if you are so fresh into the sport, start small.  figure out what you want.

example, for me, i decided a wrangler on iroks was to big for what i wanna do. and a cherokee on 33s (locked of course)  will probably suffice.  thats the next build. 

your ideas and preferences will change.  doing it 'right' once doesn't always mean biggger and stronger; it means building for what you want.

figure out what you want :)  if you are driving it daily, then a cherokee is too old unless you like wrenching. lots. 

there are many rubicons that are reasonably priced; i'd start there!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:35 PM »
  if you are driving it daily, then a cherokee is too old unless you like wrenching.

This is me.

It's like I'm building a new Jeep one part at a time
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 12:44:45 AM »
Thoughts? Let's say for argument sake right now - no Cherokee's.

Just follow your heart dude, pick whatever you want and go from there! What some people here may forget is that opinions are like assholes: everyone has one. Doesn't matter what you end up getting, hell I'd still invite you wheelin if you bought a Toyota or a Chevy! Either way it'll be a fantastic fun learning experience and THAT'S something to look forward to!

-Jason
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....

Offline MuBGuB

• Stocker
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone. Definitely given me a lot to think about. I appreciate what  JackstandJohnny said - in the fact that I'm fresh to this, and I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it just at this point. I also think Rubi03 jef has a very valid point. I'm not very mechanically inclined (yet... I'm hoping to learn), but I know a thing or two about a thing or two. That being said, I have no desire right now to build from scratch, rebuild a motor, trans, change axles, etc. I think for me, the best bet would be a good TJ, and do a simple lift with some nice 33's or something to start. That's where I'm thinking of going for now.

Would someone be kind enough to maybe cover the differences for me here between the regular TJ and the Rubicon? The internet has proved less useful, and I think an honest easy explanation from someone here might be the best bet. From my understanding: better axles, elec. lock diff, better transfer case, gears, wheels, and tires stock... am I doing it right?

-Mitch

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »
quote author=MuBGuB link=topic=23267.msg144120#msg144120 date=1315924427]

Would someone be kind enough to maybe cover the differences for me here between the regular TJ and the Rubicon? The internet has proved less useful, and I think an honest easy explanation from someone here might be the best bet. From my understanding: better axles, elec. lock diff, better transfer case, gears, wheels, and tires stock... am I doing it right?

-Mitch
[/quote]

You got...  that's about it. You will be tha happy with a Rubi and what it can do...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 09:06:43 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone. Definitely given me a lot to think about. I appreciate what  JackstandJohnny said - in the fact that I'm fresh to this, and I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it just at this point. I also think Rubi03 jef has a very valid point. I'm not very mechanically inclined (yet... I'm hoping to learn), but I know a thing or two about a thing or two. That being said, I have no desire right now to build from scratch, rebuild a motor, trans, change axles, etc. I think for me, the best bet would be a good TJ, and do a simple lift with some nice 33's or something to start. That's where I'm thinking of going for now.

-Mitch

Don't forget about that all powerful rubicon decal as well ;)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »
That's mostly correct.

The axles are heavier and can handle more abuse. The transfer case has a lower "low" ratio, making your life easier off road. The gearing in the axles is (generally) lower, again making your life easier off road. The stock tires on a Rubicon are better suited to offroad than the "street" tires on a stock TJ or JK.

Probably the single biggest thing that you will notice off the hop is that the Rubicon models have selectable lockers. These lockers will allow you to lock up your front and/or rear differential, meaning that both wheels on a given axle will turn at the same speed regardless of whether or not they have traction.

Best way to figure out what lockers do fo you is ride with someone that has selectable lockers through a muddy or technical area.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline reepr

• Winch Wench
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
My vote is for a rubicon best out of the box capabilities without doing any modding . Great for daily driving only down is the higher price point but worth it imo
2011 ruby / 35 "stt/ metalcloak gamechanger
76 cj5 under revival

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
all rubicons come with

4.0 inline 6
NP241 t case its beefier then the NP231 that comes from the normal TJ and it has a way lower  4low gear ratio
the dana 44 front and rear with lockers . air and electric depending on years .
and a fixed yoke on the tcase unlike all other jeeps that have a slip yoke

but you can find some TJ and LJ's with a dana 44 rear and a dana 30 front and the dana 30 front are good diffs .. so i would say look for one of those TJ's instead of one with a dana 35 rear .     the dana 35 rear is a weak diff but that all depends on how you wheel and if you learn why its weak .    so thinks to becarful of .  braking a reaer axle in the bush on a 44 is ok you can still drive out on it .. breaking a 35 shaft will make your afternoon the craps.   

so just shop around and aim for at least a 44 rear in a TJ  or go with the rubicon
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
all rubicons come with

4.0 inline 6
NP241 t case its beefier then the NP231 that comes from the normal TJ and it has a way lower  4low gear ratio
the dana 44 front and rear with lockers . air and electric depending on years .
and a fixed yoke on the tcase unlike all other jeeps that have a slip yoke

but you can find some TJ and LJ's with a dana 44 rear and a dana 30 front and the dana 30 front are good diffs .. so i would say look for one of those TJ's instead of one with a dana 35 rear .     the dana 35 rear is a weak diff but that all depends on how you wheel and if you learn why its weak .    so thinks to becarful of .  braking a reaer axle in the bush on a 44 is ok you can still drive out on it .. breaking a 35 shaft will make your afternoon the craps.   

so just shop around and aim for at least a 44 rear in a TJ  or go with the rubicon

Adding to that. If your shopping for a Tj with a 44 rear you can tell the difference between a Dana 35 and Dana 44 because the d35 will have a rubber fill plug. A d44 will have a normal 3/8 drive racket metal fill plug.

Offline MuBGuB

• Stocker
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
Once again, thank you all for the great info guys.

What is the equiv. of the Rubicon in the JK line? The best I've seen is the Sahara, but that's described as a "luxury" line. I'm just curious to go try driving one brand new. Would like to find out what the new one is, that is comparable to the Rubicon.

-Mitch

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »
they make a JK rubicon . .

so its the same as the TJ just with a shity v6 engine

and electric lockers instead of air lockers ..
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Dracitamo

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:31:58 PM by Dracitamo »

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
You are gonna be loving the feeling the first time you take your own rig out
....uuuuh , didnt you buy someone else's built rig?  Where exactly do you wheel in BC? No one in the clubs i know there have even heard of you?  With your proposed 6.5"LA and 37's i would assume the rig will never see the highway..and wouldnt your centre of gravity be dangerously high? 
And what parts of waiprous have you seen? Other than the gay road to margaret lake , i doubt you have wheeled any part of that area. Technical rockcrawling my arse..on spacers and 31's..pffft.

Find the platform you think best suits your needs, whether it be a brand new JK, a used TJ , or a Rubicon..then figure out what modifications are going to work best with what you want to build. Whether its a daily driver or a dedicated trail rig...There is alot to consider, tire choices,lift hieght, lockers,skids..but a major choice will be bumpers/solid recovery points..no matter how big or small you are, when you get stuck or broken, you need a way out. All the mods in the world dont count for squat if you are stuck in a rut, and theres no safe way to yank you out.

A stock tj rubicon is a great starting platform, and you can get them at a reasonable price. Easy to work on, and fair resale value if you decide this isnt the sport for you.

Taking advice from some idiot who just bought a used rig six months ago is like throwing kittens in a bathtub..it doesnt end well.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
[quote  throwing kittens in a bathtub..it doesnt end well.
[/quote]

it does if you dont like cats :)